Currently, for any user be it university student, professional or housewife, it is important to handle certain tools that it brings Microsoft Word, which make your life easier when making a document. One of these are the indexes, which are ideal for displaying the content of the work in an orderly and logical way, providing an elegance and professionalism that are very pleasing to the eye.
Word is a powerful word processor for the Microsoft Office Suite, is a program that allows you to do many things and among them a table of contents, commonly called an index, which is very useful to obtain the organization of the document, or for the user to have a reference when accessing the information , since you can visualize by chapters, title and subtitles the structure of the text and that definitely helps the reader.
In this sense, in this tutorial, we will teach you how to how to create an index in Microsoft 2007 and 2010 Through very explicit, simple and practical illustrations, so that from the moment you can prepare the table of contents of any document, whether as a degree thesis, university work or organization manuals. The novelty of this guide is that you will learn to do it both ways: manual and automatic.
Steps to make an index in Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010
Text tables can be generated in two ways and you will learn to do it both ways in this tutorial. It is an extremely simple process that you can even do without much knowledge thanks to the intuitive interface of the software. But to make things even easier for you, we will show you step by step how to do each of them.
Generate index automatically
The advantage of doing it with Microsoft Word is that once the index is created, if we add more content to the document, the index will be updated directly.
- Create an index or table of contents in Word, for that you must set the title, subtitles and any divisions in the text, for this tutorial we elaborated an example text with a title and three subtitles.
- Here you have to select the titles in order of importance, for example you must click on which one will do Title I, Title II and so on. You do that in the titles section.
- If you don’t like the font options your titles have been changed to after formatting them as Heading, you can change them by shading the text and clicking the right mouse button and selecting “Modify”.
- Then a new window will appear, and this is where you choose the style that you like the most.
- Insert the page numbering. You are in the menu “insert”, then look for the option “Page number” and choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Then it directs you to the menu “page design”, there it locates on the left side the “Table of Contents” and choose the design that you like the most and finally click on insert table of contents.
- Then a new window appears with the view table preliminary and then click ok. The result will be the index with its respective perfectly generated numbering.
Create table of contents manually
This is another way to index. For this you must set tab stop points in the ruler when the document is opened.
- If by chance the horizontal ruler does not appear, scroll to the tab “See” and check the box “Rule”.
- Once you see the horizontal ruler, create a tab stop click on the position that the page numbers of the sections of your table of contents will occupy (it is customary to be 14 cm). Next, double-click on that tab stop to display the window Tabs.
- Check that the alignment is to the right and then select the padding characters that the word processor will expose between each entry and the page number. Click on To accept to return to your document.
- Then, write the name of your first post (for example, I used Introduction here) and press the TAB key. After, write the page number and play the key Enter. You will repeat this step for each new entry you want to make (for the tutorial, place, Background, Objectives and structure).
- Done, you have the option manual to make the table of contents, I hope the information has been useful to you.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉