Due all the new components and chips that make up the structure of mobile devices, A large number of actions can be carried out with them that a few years ago were not possible. Such as power connect the mobile through its micro-USB port to a television to watch HD videos. And all this is possible after the appearance of the MHL connection.
The MHL connection or mobile high definition link is a relatively new type of connection that entered the market after its incorporation into HTC Sensation devices and Samsung Galaxy SII. Thanks to this type of connection, these devices are capable of stream 1080p quality videos without having to compress them. This transmission is carried out from phone to phone, tablets and any other type of screen that allows it.
And in the case of those mobile devices that only have the HDMI connection, These will have the help of connection cable. A cable that is characterized by having a end with a connector that is compatible with the TV’s HDMI MHL port, and at its other end, it has a connector for the mobile phone micro USB port.
What is an MHL connection and what is it for?
The mobile high definition link or MHL for its acronym in English mobile high-definition link. It is nothing more than a technology that allows transmit high definition images and surround sound from mobile devices, smartphones, tablets, digital cameras, camcorders, monitors, portable players and even televisions that have access to it. That is, thanks to this type of connection you can enjoy all the videos you have on your devices on your TV screen.
Therefore, when talking about the MHL connection, refer to a standard connector who owns a interface that is suitable for both audio and video. Allowing then, connecting portable electronic devices to a screen. In addition, this technology is characterized by providing each of mobile devices a digital output who owns a 1080p Full HD resolution.
Finally the MHL connection is the one that serves to transmit high definition images up to 4K or 8K and of course surround audio. Through a simple connector, with few pins which makes it much more compatible with the different devices that are on the market.
Advantages of MHL Why is it the best audio and video connection?
The MHL connection, is considered one of the best options when it comes to stream audio and video filesBecause it uses a few-pin connector, it preserves the life of device battery, supports HD video digital technology, up to 1080p, and it is also compatible with the vast majority of HDMI input ports, which are generally found on HDTVs.
Hence, the main advantages of this type of connection are:
- The MHL connection allows users to enjoy the content of their smartphone or tablet on HDTVs or displays.
- With the MHL connection, you can also use the tablet as if it were a computer. Since you can add a mouse, a keyboard and as if this were not enough, it can be used TV as monitor.
- The MHL connection, It also allows its users to play through a game console.
- And finally, your mobile device it will charge at the same time that you enjoy all the options mentioned above.
Types of MHL What are there and how are they different?
MHL technology, was developed by the company Silicon Image, who also developed three products with support of this connection. Each with its own characteristics.
- MHL transmitter: The MHL transmitter or MHL transmitters are those that are made up of two pins that allow them transmit digital data in a single TMDS-type transmission. A transmission that reduces the number of pins when connect to small devices. And all this is possible, because the transmitters are responsible for delivering high definition audio and video in the five pins that make up the connector.
These types of transmitters are available with support at the input for Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI) and in RGB / YCbCr / ITU.601 / ITU.656 when it comes to digital video input.
- MHL bridge: On the other hand you have I canBefore MHL to HDMI. These are the ones in charge of converting all audio and video signals that come from a device that handles MHL technology to a standard signal that is supported by a device with HDMI connection.
- HDMI receiver: When it comes to HDMI receivers, Silicon Image the company responsible for the MHL connection, offers its users a device receiver model SiI 9223. Which is characterized by being a receiver of four HDMI 1.3 ports offering much more options advanced HDTV. These include: 1080p, Deep Color, support for MHL and xvColor.
Evolution of the MHL How many versions are there and how are they different?
The MHL connection, is characterized by being a type of relatively young connection, since its market launch was in the year 2010, but despite being so few years old, it has been evolving without stopping, all with the purpose of guaranteeing a better service to its users.
Within the MHL versions we have:
- MHL 1.0 .: It’s the first MHL version and was characterized by offering its users a support for uncompressed video in Full HD 1080p. in addition, it offered a 2.5w charging power and up to eight audio channel sound.
- MHL 2.0.: It was the second version to be created, and it was characterized by being a standard version that allowed a 7.5W charging power. and it was in this second version, where support was first introduced for 3D video.
- MHL 3.0 .: It is version number three of this connection, and it was characterized by including the possibility of 4K video support. Further, increased its charging power to 10W and offered full support for multiscreen and peripherals.
- Super MHL: Last we have the Super MHL version, this is the last version available since 2015. It is characterized by having support for 8K video, HDR support, an incredible 40W charging power, and as if this were not enough, this last version It also has a support that allows connecting with USB Type-C devices.
MHL 3 What were the improvements and their impact on the industry?
For some years now, it is possible to cconnect the mobile device or tablet through its micro-USB port to a television or screen which enables view HD videos, thanks to MHL technology, a technology that has constantly evolved since its inception to reach MHL 3 version and then advance to its latest version known as Super MHL.
However, we will not talk about current version, as we will focus on the impact of MHL version 3, since it offered a series of advantages that impacted many of the users. And one of its main advantages or characteristics is that It was the connection of the PlayStation 3. From there then why the MHL 3 connection is it so influential in the video game industry.
Since basically this connection allows the videogames can be reproduced with a better quality in your graphics. Obtaining clearer and more realistic images. But that’s not all, because this version also had great influence in the streaming industry, well allowed device connection tvbox to tv, besides seeing YouTube and Netflix. Offering in these the following improvements:
Ultra HD (4K) support
With MHL version 3 was and is still possible visualize videos that still reached definition of 3820 x 2160 pixels, and with a size of 30 frames per second fluently.
Simultaneous high-speed data channel
The version MHL 3 count with one high speed data channel that reaches the 6 Gbps.
10W charging channel
This version also allows charge the mobile device while it is connected by transmitting the images. Therefore it will not run out of battery.
Available audio support allows you to take advantage of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD 7.1 sound technologies.
Support for content protection
This version has available an account with support, ideal for content protection. And all this is possible thanks to HDCP 2.2 standard.
CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) support
MHL 3 version allowed users to control mobile device through the tv remote control.
Support for multiple simultaneous displays.
This version also allowed the image could be displayed on multiple screens simultaneously.
Backward compatible with few pins
And finally, MHL 3 version is fully compliant with the standards of previous versions: MHL 1 and MHL 2.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉