Microsoft Access is a database management system designed by Microsoft in 1992. It is the successor of Embedded Basic and through it you can collect all kinds of information related to a certain matter or purpose.
A clear example of this is when you need track customer orders. Since its launch, multiple updates.
Throughout this post, we will talk to you about what it is, what it is for, its main advantages and a list of the best alternative database tools to Access.
What is Microsoft Access and what is this Office tool for?
Microsoft Access it is nothing more than a simple tool with which you can create different business applications from predesigned templates, or also from scratch. In this way, it is possible to design very attractive, intuitive applications with a very complete design in a short time.
Can be used by both beginners and advanced users. This means that it can be adapted to the needs of people. In case you require do a small project, you can do it without any problem and if you are an advanced user, you can also run your project and enjoy its features more professionals.
As we mentioned earlier, in Access offers a series of templates with which you can put your database into operation in a few clicks. If you have a more complex project and you are an expert on the subject, you can also enjoy the wizards that it includes or take advantage of its tools programation advance.
For example, you can program in Visual basic, which is included within Microsoft Access and with which you can give freedom to your imagination. Without a doubt, you can scale your learning until you become an expert. In this program you will get a series of very useful tools for your database.
Here are the most relevant ones:
- Boards: you can store data from structured form.
- Queries: are used to extract filtered information from tables according to your needs.
- Forms: is it so linked to tables and are considered the friendliest part of a database. You can include texts, buttons, images and much more.
- Reports: you can configure them according to your needs. In addition, you can add colors, graphics, modify positions, etc.
What are the advantages of using Microsoft Access to manage your databases?
Access is a excellent tool to create your databases and manage them quickly and safely. One of the most interesting aspects is that adapts to the needs of each user, regardless of whether you are an expert or not.
However, we want to summarize the main advantages that you will get when using it:
- Is very Easy to use.
- It allows you manage databases.
- The business applications you design can be customized according to the needs of your company.
- Includes Visual Basic for Applications, a tool with which you can automate business processes, create reports and forms, among others.
- You can integrate data between Access and line of business applications with your library of connectors Access.
- Provides different tools to update existing records, including data sheets, queries, forms, etc.
- Have a bug help system highly effective.
List of the best Access alternative database tools
Apart from Microsoft Access, there are many other database tools which you can get the most out of. But not all of them are safe, so it is important to know all those that really be reliable.
Therefore, we will talk about the 3 best alternative database tools to Access:
LibreOffice Base, has become known for mimicking the programs in the Microsoft Office but freely. Base is part of the LibreOffice suite, inside which is Write (text processor), Calc (spreadsheet), Impress (presentations), Draw (graphics), Math (formulas) and Charts (creation of graphics).
With LibreOffice it is possible both import how to export data towards other applications of the suite room so you can create reports, charts and much more.
You must bear in mind that this tool is a bit more complicated than Office and it doesn’t contain as many additional features. But nevertheless, is 100% free and is compatible with computers Windows, macOS, Linux and Android.
In summary, it has advantages such as:
- Available for different operating systems.
- Supports standard database interfaces JDBC and ODBC. Through them, it is possible to establish a connection with other databases.
- Too supports many database systems, such as MySQL, MS Access, Adabas D, etc.
Kexi is an integrated Calligra Suite tool. In general, it can be said that is an office automation software which has design applications such as a program for vector graphic editing, photo editing, and more.
It comes integrated with other applications in the suite, such as Stage (presentations), Plan (Projects management), Words (word processor) and Sheets (spreadsheet). Although does not have as complete features as Access, with Kexi you can run different database management tasks with very effective results. We recommend it in case you need to create address books, simple tables, product lists, among others.
Among its advantages can be highlighted:
- Provides the ability to import files from MS Access and dBase.
- Supports other database servers like dBase, MySQL, MS SQL Server, among others.
Last but not least is Glom. It is open source software which is considered an effective alternative to Microsoft Access. It has a very friendly user interface, so it offers very simple.
With the help of it, you can develop databases in very short periods of time. One of the biggest advantages of Glom is its robustness, because data can be queried through the search function, as well as establishing relationships between them according to a specific series of criteria. We recommend it for small projects such as product lists, contact lists, etc. This is because it is not as complete as MS Access.
Among its main advantages we can mention:
- Has a very friendly user interface.
- Ideal for small projects.
Keep in mind that in the database management scope The only one Reliable alternative to Microsoft Access is LibreOffice Base for the benefits it offers. With this tool you can practically perform all actions included in Microsoft Access.
But in the case of Glom and Kexi, they are much more recommended for small projects and it is best to use them together with another database system. The reason is that they solve the basic problems of management systems, but they have limitations.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉