When working on this microsoft program you will have the opportunity to store your files created on it in different types of formats, one of them is in CSV. This type of extension allows the file you have created to be you can open in other programs more easily and not only in Excel or any other database software.
A file with extension .csv It is made up comma separated values. This means that stores data in table form but that each one of columns by comma. In this way, these types of documents can be used in a wide variety of programs, this being the main reason why it is frequently used to import or export data from different applications.
Having said all this, here we are going to explain the different methods what can you do to open a file with a .csv extension in Microsoft Excel. For this, it will be necessary that you follow each of the procedures that we will explain in the post.
What is a CSV file and how is it different from an XLS?
As already mentioned above comma separated values CSV files can be basically opened with any program, so you can have a large number of options for see its information in comparison if you store it in another type of format.
However, it is important to clarify that they present a data content that is very difficult to understand if they don’t open in database programs like Excel.
This means that for said content be clearly legible, these comma separated values must open in software like Microsoft Excel or any other program similar to this one. It is also important to remember that in this software you can also store files in that format.
Therefore, here we are going to show you what are the main differences that can be found between what is a CSV file and an XLS file:
- CSV is a old method which was frequently used to save comparison tables, since this kind of extension is read in word processors, something that is not happens with XLS extensions. Thus, the CSV contains plain text as a series of values that are separated by commas on a series of lines. So let it be open in word processors and what could be read by users. All this has made documents with CSV extensions can be read by a large number of applications.
- While XLS formats are MS Excel workbook binary files, they are in charge of store all information containing each of the book worksheets, which includes numbers, colors, conditional formatting, among others. They can also contain additional elements such as tables, tables, images, among many others. Unlike CSV, these can only be read by applications specially developed to read their format, and that they can only be written in the same way.
Steps to open a CSV file in Microsoft Excel fast and easy
Considering everything mentioned in the post, the best way to give Reading to CSV files is through Microsoft Excel. That is why here we are going to explain different methods So you can start opening it and thus obtain an easy and fast reading of all the information that is contained there.
To do this, follow each of the methods that we will teach you below:
Before opening Excel
The first way to access these file types is before opening Microsoft Excel.
To do this, you must perform each of the steps that we are going to indicate below:
- The first thing you should do is find the location of the CSV file what do you want open in program.
- Once you have achieved it, the next thing will be to do right click about him.
- In the drop-down menu that appears on the screen you must to select the item of “To open with”.
- Then select “Microsoft Excel” So you can open the document with such software.
- It will automatically open in a workbook spreadsheet, in this way you can start to open each of these formats in your MS program.
With Excel Open
The other form of power open these file types in this MS software is from a blank sheet of book.
For this, it will be necessary that you carry out the steps indicated below:
- The first thing you should do is open a blank excel sheet.
- There you must go to the tab “Data” and then to the section of “Get external data.”
- The next thing will be to select the icon “From text”.
- Then the “Windows Explorer” there you should find the location of the file you want to open.
- Then a window will appear on the screen where you must select the checkbox “Delimited” and in “File source” you choose UTF-8 or MS-DOS (PC-8) as the case may be and click on “Next”.
- In the next window you must select which is the column-separated character. There you will see several options, usually it appears already selected “Tabulator”, here you can choose anyone, although this time the comma box will be marked and select “Next”.
- In the new window that appears you must select the format for the column data, here you will also find several options available, in this case choose “General” keep in mind that you can select any other. And then click on “Finalize”.
- Now a window will appear where you should indicate where do you want import the data, here you can leave it in existing sheet and click on “To accept”.
- They will automatically appear the data that you have imported into your Excel sheet according the data that you have previously selected for import. Keep in mind that depending on the parameters you select, it will be how you can see the data in the spreadsheet.
Converting CSV to XLS
Finally the other way to open these CSV files in Excel is by converting it to an XLS file, taking into account that these types of formats are the ones that this MS program by nature.
This means that if you don’t want apply some of the above methods Or simply you want to convert it to open it easily the next few times, you will need to follow a series of steps.
Which we will indicate below:
- The first thing you should do is enter your browser preferably, in this case, Google Chrome.
- Now you must enter the online converter “Convertio.co” from this link.
- Here the window will appear so that you can convert your document CSV to XLS.
- To do this you must click on the option “Select files.”
- Then the “Windows File Explorer”, There you must find the location of the file and select it and click on “Open”.
- Now the file uploaded to the online platform, the next thing will be to click on “Turn into”.
- Here you must wait a few minutes while i know converts the format of the file from CSV to XLS.
- After a few seconds the file has been converted, the next thing will be to click on “To download”.
- This way you will be converting these file types to XLS, what will allow you open it faster and easier in MS Excel.
List of the best online converters to convert CSV into XLS without losing information
Power convert a file from a format to another is always a very good alternative for when you want open information and you don’t have the right program for it.
Currently you can find a wide variety of online converters that offer you very good results. That is why here you we present a list of the best online converters So you can convert CSV to XLS formats without you having risks of losing information contained there.
Let’s see what they are below:
East online converter has become one of the most sought after when wanting convert a file, it has a lots of tools that will allow you convert practically all existing formats, either from PNG to ICO, EPUB to PDF, EML to DOC, CSV to XLS, among many other options that you will have available there.
All this can be carried out directly from the platform Online-convert, the which one will you have the opportunity to use completely free. An excellent alternative when you want to find those formats available for your programs.
It should also be mentioned that it easily adapts to the formats and dimensions of multimedia files so you can post on social media.
Undoubtedly Converted is one of the tools on-line most popular today, and it can be said that it is currently one of the best options available on the web together with Online-convert.
The same can be used completely free and without the need for register or you can simply purchase some of their payment plans through registration. This will offer you more advanced and interesting tools.
Convertio supports more than 25600 totally different conversions, what offers you a great quantity of alternatives when wanting to convert one format into another.
Here you can not only convert all types of files, from documents, videos, images, audio, among many others. It also allows you to work with fonts and compressed files.
This converter is another of the excellent options that you can find available today, it stands out mainly for work with PDF files, so you can convert these formats into any other that you need.
However, also works with many other available formats that they will allow you work with any type of document. Soda PDF you can work it from online from its own web platform or by downloading its software to work it offline from your computer.
In this way, this tool has become an excellent alternative when wanting to transform any type of format. It also allows you create encryption in some documents as one of the additional options that this offers you.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉