The HDD, or hard drive, is a storage unit available on any computer. These units provide multiple functionalities. For example, the ability to make partitions. If you want to know How to partition a hard drive on your Windows 8 PC, continue reading this step by step guide.
Create partitions on the hard drive is very useful at the time of provide protection to PC files, while the information is distributed in a more organized way.
Each partition can fulfill a specific function. However, you must know certain key points to carry it out. Therefore, we will teach you everything you need to know regarding this topic.
How convenient is it to partition a hard drive? Advantages and disadvantages
A partition it is a special division of the hard disk. It can be created, edited or deleted by the user at any time, and be used to save any information as a backup. However, it is necessary to take certain precautions. How convenient is it to partition a hard drive?
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of the process:
The hard drive partition is a process carried out by users with intermediate or advanced knowledge about the topic.
Such a measure offers many advantages, among which are:
- You can install multiple operating systems: Having separate partitions of the hard drive will allow you to have more than one operating system installed on your computer. Similarly, you can allocate a partition to share files between the different installed systems.
- Protect your information in case of failures: If your operating system begins to have problems, for whatever reason, it is likely that later you will not be able to use the HDD. Therefore, having a partition will allow you to store the system in one part, and your data in another. So in case of a formatting, your information is not affected.
- Improve performance: Currently, hard drives have storage spaces of up to 10 TB. However, having multiple partitions allows you to reduce the delay of data repositioning and therefore improves the performance of your computer.
- Optimal maintenance: The multiple partitions facilitate the maintenance of the hard disk, as it favors various processes such as: Optimization, defragmentation, file search acceleration and the error checking in the system.
- Improve distribution and organization: Partitions allow you to allocate each space to a different task. For example, you can store photos and videos in one partition, video games in another, backup copies or programs in a third partition. In such a way, your personal space will enjoy a better personal organization.
Partitions they work as a backup. However, such a method is not as safe or foolproof as is thought.
Among the most notable disadvantages are:
- Damaged hard drive: In case the hard drive ends damaged, all partitions will be compromised as they are on the same physical drive.
- Greater wear: In some cases, partitions improve computer performance. However, on other occasions it can slow down the mechanism, as you will have two work areas. What a more effort for the PC.
- Limited space: If you split a hard drive 2 TB, you will have two partitions of 1 TB. In case of making more partitions, the space for each one will be smaller. This can cause some parts of the disc to wear out faster than others.
- Prone to failures: It is essential to back up your information before partitioning your hard drive. Faced with any failure, you can lose all your data. The same applies when modifying a partition, or when you want to install a new operating system on the hard drive.
Learn step by step how to partition a hard drive in Windows 8
Create a hard drive partition it may seem like a challenge. However, if you follow the instructions exactly, you can successfully divide the storage space. Then, learn step by step how to partition a hard drive in Windows 8. As mentioned earlier, backup is recommended before proceeding to partition the disk.
It is not a required step, so you can skip it if you want:
- Right click on the menu “Start” from Windows. Then select “Disk management”.
- In the next window you will be shown a list of the units connected to the PC. This includes the HDD, pendrives, partitions or CD / DVD. Each identified by a letter, name, and storage size.
- The partition can only be created in the “unallocated” space of a hard disk. You can identify it by the upper black bar that is called as such.
- In case of not seeing the space “Not assigned”, you must right click on the disk and click on “Dicrease the volume”.
- In the field “Size of the space you want to reduce”, enter the size in Megabytes you want to dedicate to the new partition and press “Reduce”. In this way, the “Unallocated” space can be viewed without major problems.
- Right click about the “Unallocated” space of the disk on which you want to partition. Then select “New simple volume”.
- Next, a wizard window will run. Continue the process by pressing “Next”.
- In the window that follows you should define the size you want for the new partition. Write a value that meets the minimum and maximum indicated by the wizard. In the same way, you can keep the recommended size. When setting the size, tap “Next”.
- In the event that the drive does not have a letter assigned, click on the option “Assign the next drive letter”. You will then be presented with a drop down list. Select the letter with which you prefer to identify the new partition. Confirm your selection with “Next”.
- In the next window, click on “Format this volume with the following settings”.
- Next, define some of the options:
- File System: You must choose between NTFS or FAT.
- Allocation unit size: Make sure to keep the default.
- Volume label: Assign a name that defines the role of the new partition. It is not a mandatory step.
- Finally, uncheck the “Quick Format” box. When finished, you just have to click on “Next”.
- Next, you will see an information window with the details you have selected for the new partition. Verify that everything is in order and click on the button “Finalize”.
- Return to the section “Disk management” to verify that the new partition is there. You can identify it by a blue bar at the top.
- An indicator should appear in the window that shows the formatting advancealthough it may take time to appear on the screen. When it reaches 100%, you can close the window.
- If a notice appears asking you to format, you can close it. Finally, enter the “File Browser” and verify that the new partition is in the list of drives.
- If the new partition does not appear, go back to “Disk management” and right click on the newly created partition. Choose “Change drive letter and paths”.
- You must click on “Change”. Next, make sure that the box “Assign the next drive letter” is checked. Choose a different letter for the partition.
- Finally, press “To accept”. Return to “File Browser” to verify that the partition is available.
List of the best tools to partition hard drive in Windows 8
In Internet there are a wide variety of programs intended to facilitate the partition creation process Of discs. Each application has its own functions, so it is up to you to choose the one that best suits your needs.
Here is a list of the best tools to partition your hard drive in Windows 8:
AOMEI Partition Assistant
It is a free partition wizard which is available for the operating systems of Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The particularity of the application is that you can partition without formatting the storage unit. AOMEI It has two paid versions, which expand the variety of options that the free version brings. It is also compatible with systems FAT and NTFS.
Among other features, the following stand out:
- The possibility of create, move, join, separate, resize and divide partitions.
- You can create bootable units. (Boot disks)
- You can convert a GPT partition to MBR without complication.
- It has tools recovery and diagnosis.
EASEUS Partition Master Free
It is a tool developed by the company EASEUS. It is aimed at partitioning hard drives and storage units in a simple way. It is an application with complete work options to make a process much more efficient. It has a easy to use interface, and its basic and advanced functions are very well balanced. Although you can download the free version, you can also opt for one of the paid plans.
Other of its characteristics are:
- You can change, hide, move, merge, recover or convert partitions.
- Allows you to handle up to 32 units.
- You can create dynamic disks.
- The paid versions have updates free.
Minitool Partition Wizard
It is a free program widely used by novice users and by professionals in the area. Its interface is intuitive, which facilitates adaptation to the handling of its functions. You have the option of create disk partitions without having to resort to formatting. Like the previous ones, it also has paid versions, which have licenses to be used on up to three computers at the same time.
Some of its functions are:
- You can format removable drives and disks completely at any time.
- It is available to the vast majority of storage devices.
- You can create, copy, delete, edit, change, recover and make invisible partitions on the hard drive.
- It’s compatible with the systems FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉