If you are one of the people who like keep your private data and activities that you carry out on the Internet private, it is important that you continue reading this article. We will explain in detail how Discord handles your privacy.
The options you will have to choose from are several, if you want to configure the functions offered by the platform or do you want to keep the User Settings as offered Discord.
So you can decide correctly We will show you the main risks to your privacy in Discord and Discord’s policy for personal data. We will teach you how to configure all the options.
What are the main risks to my privacy on Discord?
When you go to install Discord You should not only take into account the great benefits and advantages that it offers to its users, but also how it will be the handling of your private data. This is due to possible risks to your privacy when you use the platform.
Among the dangers to which your data is exposed we can mention:
- Lack of end-to-end coding In the messages and servers of your channel they allow Discord to know all your activity and that of your colleagues. This may cause your information to be disclosed to other companies.
- Among the security and privacy features that Discord offers for deactivating is that of not accumulating private information for new experiments. The most important problem with this tool is that, no matter how much this statistic is disabled, the data is still collected, but anonymously.
- The platform shares information with third parties global not related to you. But it is important to clarify that through social engineering it is possible to put together the puzzle about your profile, so your data is in serious danger due to the contribution that Discord makes to the Internet world.
- To achieve a correct functioning in the communications of members of the platform, Discord collects images, VOIP data, and email from the protagonists. This aspect can have serious consequences if financial information or private data is disclosed that can affect people.
- If you do not configure the privacy options correctly and security you will be able to receive direct messages with explicit content, since the platform does not foresee a parental control on this subject.
- It is important to select the options so that your privacy is protected when you are in a video game. This is because anyone can add you as a friend or join your game, even if they are a participant in a voice channel. For this reason, to avoid this inconvenience, it is useful to modify the default configurations provided by the platform when registering for the first time.
When you enter User Settings and you read the data privacy control that the platform has on your activities, you will realize that Discord is extremely interested in the actions you perform in messaging. This is because the developers of the platform can know and process the information they obtain when you browse and when you use Discord. According to them, they do this to include your profile in experiments of new functions.
The platform also knows who you talk to and what you play. They use these usage statistics to improve, according to Discord, the user experience to make it more enjoyable for everyone. Keep in mind that, even if you deactivate the option Use data to personalize my experience of Discord, All your activity will be relieved, but it will not be kept on the servers for analysis. The latter being very difficult to corroborate.
Another point to take into account in terms of security is the analysis that Discord performs to record the use of a screen reader. This means that, to improve the Discord app, every time the user uses a screen reader, a message will appear asking if you are willing to allow the platform to track your activity. By saying yes, the information will be collected anonymously, which cannot be verified, unless you have access to the messaging hosts.
Discord knows the servers, direct messages and chats that you receive permanently. Which means that there is no end-to-end encryption like other instant messaging platforms do. Keep in mind that this function cannot be changed and the only way is to delete the account.
Learn step by step how to configure your Discord account to make it more secure
For set up your Discord account and make it more secure, you should keep in mind the next step by step that we will show you below. Pay attention to every detail so as not to make mistakes and in this way keep your private information protected.
Head to Discord User Settings
The first thing you should do is access your Discord account, typing your Discord ID and password. You can do it through the browser or the messaging app. Once you have done these steps you will have to go to the lower left corner of the screen, next to the username, and click on the User Settings tool, represented by a cogwheel.
Go to Privacy and security
In this tool you will find all the options that you can configure to make your account more secure. So that, you must press on it to access the menu which will be displayed on the right side of your screen.
Choose the options in for secure direct messaging
The first thing you should do is choose if you want the platform to scan and delete the messages you receive directly and that include multimedia files with explicit content. You will be able to select one of the boxes; Keep me safe, My friends are good people or Do not analyze. Depending on what you choose, Discord will be able to analyze all messages, only from people who are not in your group of friends or any messages, respectively.
Configure the new server options
You can choose that the messaging platform analyzes the messages you receive with a new server to keep your information more secure. You can do this by activating the box Allow direct messages from server members.
Choose who can add you as a friend
In this section you will have the possibility to choose who can include you in their servers and channels. You can activate Everyone, Friends of friends and Server members. You must bear in mind that this action will define a lot the degree of connection you will have with other Discord users, so It is recommended that you analyze this configuration well.
Select who can join your game
With function Rich Presence You can configure the options so that your friends join a game without sending a request or choosing that the participants who belong to a voice channel can join the same video game. To do this you must activate or disable the functions Allow your friends to join the game and Allow voice channel participants to join your game.
Choose which private data Discord can use
In the section HOW WE USE YOUR DATA It is important that you take all the time necessary to keep your privacy protected, due to the sensitive functions that you can Activate or deactivate and that they will significantly influence your own safety.
Due to this it is important that you deactivate the following boxes:
- Use data to improve Discord: By removing this feature, the platform will not be able to collect information about the way you browse and use Discord to include it in tests of new features.
- Use data to personalize my Discord experience: When you deactivate this option, you will prevent the platform from collecting information about your video games, people with whom you speak and your tastes and preferences.
- Allow Discord to record screen reader usage: This will avoid the appearance of a message every time you use this tool on the platform.
Decide if Discord can know everything about you
At this point it is important to note that you will not be able to deactivate Use data to make Discord work. This tool allows the platform to use your data related to the servers, channels and messages that you receive from the messaging platform. If you disagree with it, you will have to delete your account. For this you will have to enter User settings, to choose My account and find the section ACCOUNT DELETING. This will allow you to disable the account or delete it.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉