Outlook is currently one of the most used email servers worldwide. It has a large number of active users that place it next to Gmail as the two most important e-mails today.
Previously this mail server was known as Hotmail. However, in one of its most recent updates its name was changed to Outlook. To access it, you need a password and an Outlook user or mail.
This is how many times users come to forget their password or username for some reason and cannot access their inbox again. Therefore, if this has happened to you and you cannot access your mail, here we will explain how you can recover your email account without remembering your username or password.
What to consider before trying to get my Hotmail account back? Now Outlook
When you want to recover an Outlook account it is important to keep in mind some specific aspects that will help us know if it is possible or not to recover the access to the email. This is because this mail server has a series of rules that the user must comply with, since if some of them are ignored it could mean the closure of the email.
According to this, here we are going to present you the most important aspects to take into account when trying to recover an email account:
One of the main reasons why Outlook closes e-mail accounts is because of the downtime in them. This is because all these users created and never used again are considered fake or spam accounts, since they are simply created to comply with some requirement of another Web platform or to create fake e-mails and send information with viruses or malware through the e-mail server.
Therefore, if you have created a Hotmail some time ago and have not used it again, it is possible that it has been removed from the platform. Generally, it is estimated that 1 year or more of inactivity must pass for the email to be deleted.
If you have this time or more without opening your mail then it is possible that your mail has been deleted, if so, it will not be possible to recover your account, in this case you simply have to create a new one and then enjoy the services of the old Hotmail again.
Another important aspect to keep in mind when you want to recover an Outlook account is the device from which we will do the recovery process, either to recover or change the password or simply to recover the user. Due to security and privacy rules, the Microsoft account detects the computers from which it constantly logs in.
Bearing this in mind, the most advisable thing to do when you want to recover access to your email is to do it through a computer where we have previously entered it, since this will greatly facilitate the recovery process. On the contrary, it happens when you try to do it from a computer where you have never entered the mail, since the system will detect it and the recovery process will be more tedious and complicated.
In this type of case, Microsoft will try to prove the identity of the person who wants to make the change as a security measure. Therefore, if you do it from a new computer you will probably have to answer a lot of questions before you can make the password change or user recovery.
Telephone and alternative mail
Generally, when the registration process is carried out on this platform, the user is asked to enter a telephone number and an alternative email as a security measure at the time of any inconvenience with access to the mail.
This way, if you have either of these two requirements in your account, the procedure to regain access to the email will be simple and fast. It is important that you make sure that the number registered on the platform matches your current number.
Steps and methods for recovering your Hotmail account without knowing your password or username
One of the biggest advantages for users of this platform is that they have a large number of methods that will allow them to recover access to Hotmail. Therefore, if you have lost your password or do not remember the user, it will be necessary for you to perform some of the methods that we will show you below.
Reviewing passwords saved in the browser
Before you contact Outlook Support to try to retrieve your password or username, it’s important that you first try to verify that your e-mail password has been saved in one of your Web browsers. Most browsers typically store login information for certain Web pages, including Microsoft accounts.
In addition, this has also been one of the main reasons why users frequently forget their passwords or users, since the browser fills in this data automatically, avoiding the person having to enter it when wanting to access a web portal.
Therefore, this first method consists of checking the browser settings and see if this data is stored there, to do so follow these steps:
On Google Chrome
If you’re one of those people who constantly uses Google Chrome as their default browser then you need to do this from your browser settings. Especially since Chrome stores a large amount of data from web pages in order to make it easier for its users to log in.
With this in mind, here’s how to check if your email access data has been stored by Chrome. To do so, follow the steps below:
- To get started, you must enter the Google Chrome browser.
- Once you have logged in you must click on the three dots at the top right of your screen.
- There you will find a menu where you must select the “Settings” section.
- Then a new page will open on the screen, with the help of the mouse you move down until you get the section “Autocomplete”.
- There you must select the “Password” option.
- In the new window that appears you will find a section with the “Saved passwords” where you can see those websites that have this data stored. As well as another section of “Passwords that are never saved”.
- In this case, if your email appears in “Saved passwords” you simply have to click on the “View” icon, this will allow you to know your access password.
In Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox is another of the most widely used web browsers today, just as Chrome is responsible for storing a large amount of data about the different web pages you visit, such as users and passwords. Therefore, if you have forgotten your Hotmail password, one option to try to recover it is to access Firefox’s options and check if this data is stored there.
If you are lucky and this data has been stored before during your logins, then your recovery process will be very quick and easy, so follow these steps:
- Log in to your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- When you have entered the browser, click on the three lines at the top right of your screen.
- In the menu that appears on the screen, select the “Options” option.
- Now the “Options” window will open, here you must select the “Privacy & Security” section.
- Once you have entered the “Privacy & Security” tab, you must scroll down with your mouse until you find the “Users and Password” section.
- Next, click on “Saved Accounts”.
- Finally, a new window will open where you can find all the sites where you have logged in before and where your access data has been stored. You can also add new websites by clicking on the option “Create new logins”. Therefore, if your saved email appears here, simply select “Show Password” and you can log in to Outlook again.
Without knowing the password
In case you want to access your Hotmail inbox, but have forgotten your password or simply lost it, you will have to perform this method. It consists of resetting your password through the Hotmail system and then generating a new password to access your inbox again, to do so follow these steps:
- The first thing to do is to enter the Outlook home page.
- There you will click on the “Login” button located on the top right of your screen.
- Then enter your email address, phone number or Skype and select “Next”.
- In the next window you must enter your password, in this case select the option Forgot your password? to start this procedure.
- Here you will get a new window where you will be told if you want your security code sent to your alternate email address or simply if you want to try some other method. In this case select the option “Show more verification methods”.
- Now a new window will open where you can select whether the code will be sent to the alternative mail, if you prefer to be sent in a text message or called. In this case we select “Send text message”.
- In the next window you must enter the last 4 digits of your phone number and then click on “Get code”.
- Now in the next window enter the code that has been sent to your mobile device and select “Next”.
- After this you will have to create your new password. Please note to create a security key that is easy to remember and finally click “Next”.
- Finally, a window will appear indicating that the password has been successfully changed. Just select the “Login” button and start enjoying your inbox.
Without the mobile phone
Another way to regain your access to your Outlook inbox is without requiring your mobile device. In this case, it is a matter of changing the access password without the need to receive the verification code on the smartphone, this in the case that you do not have your terminal at hand or simply do not have the telephone number registered on the platform.
Therefore, to regain access to your account without the mobile phone, follow these steps:
- Go to the main page of Outlook and on the top right of your screen select the “Sign in” button.
- A window will then appear for you to enter your email address. Once you have written it, select “Next”.
- In the next window you must enter your security key. However, as we do not have it in this case we click on Forgot your password?
- Here you will see a window that tells you how you want to obtain the procedure’s security code. In this case, you have the option of sending it to the alternative email address registered on the page, which you select and then click on “Next”.
- You will then be asked to enter the alternate email address to verify that it is correct and then click on “Get Code”.
- Now in the new window that appears on the screen you must enter the code that has been sent to that email address.
- Once you have received it, simply click on “next”.
- Finally, a window will appear where you must enter your new password.
- Once you have created it, a message will appear indicating that it has been successfully changed. To access your inbox simply click “Sign In”.
Without knowing the user
It is likely that you have a lot of time if you open your Hotmail account and therefore you have forgotten exactly how your email was, here are several ways to access it, can be by writing your phone number registered on the platform or your Skype account if you have one.
If you do not have either of these elements, then you will need to follow the steps below:
- The first thing to do is to access the Outlook page from your favourite browser.
- There you click on the “Login” button at the top right.
- A window will appear here for you to enter your email, phone number or Skype to sign in. If you can’t remember your email address, just enter one that looks as close as possible and select “Next”.
- A new window will appear on the screen indicating that the account you have entered is incorrect or does not exist. In this case select “Reset Now”.
- A new page will then open where you will be asked for some personal information, so that Hotmail can identify you and check your real email address.
- If you are told that your account has been permanently deleted, then you will need to register again and you can create a new email with your name.