We tend to give little importance to what happens to our documents after pressing the key “Delete”. For many, what happens to them is a mystery. To know in depth What is it and how it works, we invite you to continue reading this post.
The recycle bin is a tool used by operating systems. Which serves to store files that will be deleted later and permanently. It was introduced by Windows in its version 95. Although previously there were commands that allowed the recovery of deleted files.
Even knowing these details, we must clarify some questions. Since it is common not using the full potential of this tool or not configure it according to our needs.
Recycle Bin Are all the items in it really deleted?
As we anticipated, the trash is a temporary file space. This means that all the elements that we place inside will be housed in it. The difference with other files or system libraries is that these can be removed automatically.
Taking this into account, all the documents that enter there will occupy space on the hard disk of the computer. For this reason it is necessary to know how to use this tool. Since, if necessary, it can slow down the operation of the PC.
Learn to use the Windows trash like a pro step by step
In this post we will tell you how to get the most out of this tool. But first, it is important to mention that we will use the version corresponding to Windows 10.
For explanatory purposes, it works similar to previous versions:
While we have mentioned that the Trash has functions like automatically deleting its contents, it shares so many others with an ordinary Windows library. Many of the functions that the file explorer uses are supported in the recycle bin.
We will name a few:
- Find files. You can use the search bar in the upper right corner of the window to find a document or file. You can include all or part of the name, including just the extension. It is important to say that the search will not be carried out within the files included in the trash.
- Sort by category. As in Windows Explorer, it is possible to sort the documents contained in alphabetical order, by original location, date of deletion or extension. To achieve this you just have to click on the name of each column. If you want to reverse the order, repeat this step. You can include more categories by clicking the right mouse button on any column.
- Group by category. By right-clicking on a blank space, you can gather multiple files according to your chosen criteria. These match the columns.
- Scan with antivirus. One of the tasks that can be carried out within the trash is to analyze its content with the protection program you have installed.
- Restore deleted file. It is undoubtedly the most important function and the one that justifies the existence of the bin. If by mistake we delete a document, except permanent deletion (see below), we can recover it from this tool. Select the document you need to recover, right-click on it and choose “Restore”. It will reappear in its source file.
Hide trash icon
The recycle bin is an essential function of Windows, therefore it cannot be removed without causing harm. However, we can hide your desktop access:
On Windows 10
- Enter the configuration menu. To do this, press “Windows key + i”.
- Choose “Personalization”.
- In the sidebar, choose “Topics”. In this window we can configure the appearance of the interface.
- At the far right of the window, you will find the option “Desktop Icon Settings” Press there.
- Doing so will open a small window. Uncheck “Recycle Bin”.
- Press accept.
- If you want to view it again, carry out the same process and check this option again.
In Windows 8
- Go to the desk.
- Press the left button on it.
- Choose “Personalize”.
- Choose “Change desktop icons”
- Continue with the method from the previous step.
In Windows 7
- To access the window “Change desktop icons”. Enter the Control Panel in the Start Menu.
- Choose “Appearance and Personalization”.
- Do the same in “Personalization”.
- In the left panel you will find the option you are looking for.
Change and customize icon
Performing this customization will not be possible with the method we use in other files or archives. To achieve this we must follow the same steps that we mentioned above, until you get to the “Desktop Icon Settings” window:
- In it we must select which image we want to replace (there are two: full trash and another empty).
- Press “Change icon”. A new small window will open.
- You can choose from the icons pre-set by Windows. But if you’ve downloaded or created your own .ICO file, press “Examine”.
- In the browser, select the replacement image.
- Press “To accept” until it has been changed.
Delete files without sending them to the trash
If we assume the risk of permanently losing this file, you can delete it as follows:
- Select the item.
- Press the keys “Shift (Shift) + Delete (Del)”.
- A confirmation window will open, press “To accept”.
- Another method is to enter the properties of the trash.
- To do this, press the secondary click on it and choose “Properties”.
- Choose Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately upon deletion. ” Then Accept. Unlike the previous one, this option will not allow you to choose for each file.
In the case of deleting an item from an external disk or removable device, it is not necessary. Since they will not go through the trash can.
Schedule automatic file deletion
Periodically deleting the contents of the Trash is an activity that will improve the performance of the computer. But we don’t always remember it. For this there is a way to do it automatically:
- Open the Windows task scheduler (by typing its name in the start menu).
- Once there, click on the option “Create basic task”, located in the right panel.
- We indicate the name of the task, for example “Empty trash” and click on next.
- We indicate the periodicity with which we want the task to be executed (it can be daily, weekly, etc.) and “next” to choose the start date and time.
- In “Action” we mark the option “Start a program” Y “next”.
- In the first text box we enter “Cmd.exe” (without quotation marks). In a second “Echo S | PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command Clear-RecycleBin”.
- To finish, press “Finalize”.
3 Tips to make the most of the Windows Recycle Bin
To keep the computer healthy, it is recommended not to have the trash can full. Follow these simple tips to achieve it:
Empty trash regularly
Check the recycling bin periodically. You can find files that you removed by accident or realize that it needs to be emptied. Don’t let it fill up, this can slow down your system.
Organize items in it
Keep the trash in order. It does not matter if it is by name or date of deletion. It should be easy for you to find an item.
Pin icon to taskbar
If you want to always have this tool within reach, perform these steps:
- Create a shortcut to the trash can, you can do it with the right button on it.
- Do the same with access, but choose “Pin to Start”.
- Open the Start menu and drag the basket icon to the taskbar.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉