One of the greatest fears of Internet users is contracting viruses and their computer being infected by them. But well, although the word “virus”Referring to all kinds of computer threats, actually there are several types of these of which a person can be a victim on the net.
In such a way, they are found since childhood “virus”To the most complex threats, which are basically Trojans, worms, spyware and ransomware. Thus, each one has its own characteristics and uses different tactics to infect the user.
In this post, we will focus specifically on the “shortcut virus” that apart from infecting a PC, it is also capable of infecting a USB memory. Next, we let you know the main methods you can use to eliminate this type of virus, like to avoid it.
What is the virus “direct access” and how does it really work?
While it is true, shortcut viruses are a type of computer threat that mix a trojan and a worm in a single warning that focuses on infect the computer with a malicious program As a result, all files and folders on the computer become shortcut files, so the originals are camouflaged.
In this sense, basically what the shortcut virus does is hide all the icons and folders that the user has on their system and immediately, it replaces them with shortcuts that have the same appearance as the originals, but are not. Thus, it begins to infect the computer.
Regarding its operation, it can be stated that this virus type spreads from one PC to another by means of flash memories, pen drives, memory cards And till exchange of Internet or Bluetooth connections.
Furthermore, it is worth noting that the most common virus of this type found in removable drives is identified as “autorun.inf”And deals with infecting the system and multiplying the virus through the creation of unlimited shortcuts.
Steps and methods to remove a virus that creates shortcut folders on my PC
Once the user knows that the shortcut virus has invaded their computer, the most important question of all is “How do I remove the shortcut virus from my PC or a USB stick?”; Fortunately, there are several methods that can be used to do this and best of all, they do not require much work.
So if you want to recover your files that have been disguised as shortcuts again, here are the methods you can use:
Using CMD without using programs
In case you didn’t know, the shortcut virus is a malicious program that only runs on Windows computers. Which is to say, Mac OS and Linux users can rest easy on this as they are not affected by such a malfunction.
In view of this, Windows has a useful tool that allows you to get rid of such a virus in no time., that is, very easily. This tool basically makes use of the command console contained in the operating system, which is opened from the same Start menu.
However, keep in mind that you must be absolutely careful when using this CMD command line, as improper use can bring serious results.
Once this is clarified, know the step by step to follow to eliminate the virus with Windows CMD:
- To start with, make sure that the infected disk or memory is connected to the computer.
- Later, click on the Start icon on your PC and type the command “CMD”Inside the search box.
- Now, in order to open that command, hit enter.
- It is time to write the drive letter of your hard drive partition or USB flash drive on the PC. Sometimes it can be /: D, E, G, etc.
- After that, write “attrib g: *. * / d / s -h -r –s”And press again Enter. In this way, you can recover your files from PC or USB.
Using an antivirus program
Another of the most used alternatives is to resort to antivirus programs that facilitate these procedures and allow you to eliminate the direct access virus from your PC or pendrive. However, despite the fact that there are many antivirus software, it is necessary that you use one that was able to detect the shortcut virus and in such a way, allow you also scan USB memory.
Thus, one of the most recommended programs for this in Windows, it is Avast Antivirus. Which makes use of various detection methods with powerful tools that find practically all existing viruses.
These methods are:
- Scaner: The antivirus has a powerful engine that is responsible for prohibiting the entry of computer viruses, malware, spyware and any program that causes damage to the computer. Also, you can scan ZIP, 7-ZIP, CHM, CAB, MIME files, among others.
- Anti-rootkit: Basically, it is a function of Avast Antivirus capable of preventing attacks “Rootkit”, Making use of Gmer technology.
- Anti Spyware: As its name implies, it does not allow spyware to install itself on your computer and proceed to steal all your information to use it illegally.
- Heuritic (motor): It is an engine with the ability to detect known viruses and offer you this information in advance.
- Code simulation: Tool that allows a code simulation to prevent damage to the system, after performing a manual or automatic scan.
As an additional solution, we also advise you to use the program “Trojan Remover”On your Windows computer. In view of the fact that it is an antivirus that has tools with which you can keep the computer clean and thus, prevent any type of Trojan from accessing it.
In other words, it is based on an ideal antitrojan program to detect and eliminate direct access viruses, since these are a combination of a Trojan and a worm, as we indicated at the beginning.
With Shortcut virus remove
If you prefer to put aside the use of the Windows command line and have another program as an alternative, the best option for you is to use “Shortcut virus remove”Which refers to free software with the ability to remove annoying shortcut virus in a very simple way.
Since, it deletes all the files automatically, as well as the direct access folders and thus, manage to recover your original folders.
As for the process that you have to follow to do this with the help of Shortcut virus remover, it is the following:
- Once you download the program in question, access it and there you will see two options: Pendrive and Computer. Among them, click on “Pendrive”If you want to erase the virus from a USB drive. On the other hand, select “Computer”If you want to remove the virus from your computer.
- As in this case we will focus on eliminating the virus from the USB, we have chosen “Pendrive”And after that, you must click on the corresponding letter of the USB drive.
- Subsequently, press the button “Scan”So that the program starts searching and detecting the virus.
- After completing the previous process, the shortcuts will be found and there, it is time to click on “Delete”In order to suppress the virus.
- Finally, you will now be able to have the original files or documents that the program recovered on your Pendrive or Disk.
As you will see, this program is more effective than the others that we recommend, since it focuses solely and exclusively on eliminating the direct access virus and in the same way, recovering the original folders.
How to prevent our Windows hard drive, Mac or an external USB stick from being infected with a computer virus?
Faced with so much latent computer insecurity today, it is valuable to know some ways that allow you to prevent the computer’s hard drive or the external USB memory that you constantly use, can be infected by any type of computer virus, that is, from the simplest to the most powerful.
To do this, here are some recommendations that you should follow:
- It’s necessary that improve the security of your web browser to prevent it from running potentially dangerous programs, automatically. Since, in general, this type of software is found on any website that you visit next. Which is recommended for both Windows and Mac.
- As much as possible, take care of uninstall programs that you no longer use on your computer. In view of the fact that, on many occasions, obsolete software can generate security problems and infect the computer without any consideration, since you have an outdated tool installed.
- We recommend that you be very careful when opening files that are shared with you via email, either through download links or by any other means. For this, it is best don’t open files from unknown sources that may be malware.
- In case you need to open or insert files or external third-party media very frequently, the most advisable is have a compartmentalized system (like, for example, Tails), in order to prevent the virus from infecting your PC and accessing personal files.
- It is very important that you install the updates of the programs hosted on the computer, barely available. Typically, Windows and Mac computers require you to download and run a new installer for this.
- You should not insert the input and output devices of the pendrive, USB memory, CD-ROOM and DVD, when the legal operating system is starting to boot. In addition, we also recommend create a virus-free boot disk.
- It is valuable that use a firewall (Internet, USB, operating system) in order to prevent the access of any unknown operation, whether internal or external.
All these and many more recommendations are necessary to take into account to keep a computer free from any kind of virus and that, in this way, it does not infect a USB memory when inserting it into it.
In the same way, it is significant that analyze any external memory before committing it to the team, to avoid any problem in case it presents errors (For example, you can do it in Windows when entering safe mode).
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉