If your Apple device has technical failures or you want to change it by selling it and you hope to avoid identity or information theft, you can perform a hard reset. Before proceeding, it is important to know that a factory reset will completely remove: data, applications, and settings if not backed up.
It is necessary to differentiate when a computer needs a simple reboot or a hard reset which may not be your best option. There are 2 types of operations that can be done: the hard reset, which is drastic and erases all the information, and the soft reset if your device does not work correctly, it is a basic reset and does not delete the data.
All the products that Apple releases can obtain the latest iOS operating system updates as soon as they are available making it more comfortable for the user and according to the personal device and the operating system it has there are ways to reset it. In this tutorial we explain the steps to be followed to restore your computer using methods and tools useful and necessary according to the model, with small differences in the user interface that each device has.
Steps to reboot and restore your Apple device and return to factory settings
Perform a restore, either hard reset or soft resetIt is a process that can be done in different ways and all of them are very easy to apply. With a computer and a good internet connection You will be able to do most of the ones that we will explain below
First of all, how to make a backup?
Before starting, it must be taken into account that sometimes the device is reset due to errors and the correct thing to do so as not to lose the information and settings is make a backup even if you have iCloud.
- Connect your device to a computer with the help of a USB cable and enter your security key.
- Open iTunes and synchronize your equipment with the program.
- Click on the left panel where the button with an iPhone figure appears where you can view the information regarding your device.
- Finish by selecting the option to automatically perform a backup on your computer. You can also choose Encrypt content or save it to iCloud.
- Press the option “copy now …Unlike iCloud, iTunes does not run automatic copies but it is necessary to make them manually and periodically.
Hard reset from iCloud
- Once unlocked iPhone, iPad or iPod, opens “Setting” and tap on “general“, scroll down to the reset options.
- Now, press the option “Clear content and settings“.
- If the device has a default password it will be necessary to introduce it to proceed with the backup. There is no way to do this until encryption is entered.
- Finally, you will have to enter your password Apple ID, this will cause the account and all information to be deleted automatically and “Find iPhone“goes off.
One way to do a soft reset is with the combination of buttons that we explain below:
- Press the on / off button and hold it next to “home” button until the Apple logo appears.
- The phone will restart as usual. This is a soft reset, the reason that no data will be deleted.
Force restart is a method that is used when the mobile hangs or starts throwing different system errors. To do this you simply have to apply the following button combination:
- If your mobile is an iPhone 7 or later press the on / off button and volume down instead of the “Home” button until the logo appears
- Wait for the traditional reboot and check your data.
One of the oldest methods since at the time it was the only one available to perform a Hard Reset. Here’s how to do it from iTunes:
- Connect your device to a computer with the help of a USB cable, in order to continue it will be necessary to unlock your Smartphone if it is encrypted
- When opening iTunes, in the menu bar, tap the button with the silhouette of an iPhone.
- Press the option “Restore iPhone“It is important to remember that if a backup is not made, all data will be erased from the computer.
- By clicking on “Restore iPhone“, iTunes will return it to its factory state
- Finally, once the process is complete it will go back to the factory settings and the welcome screen will appear, just like when it was started for the first time.
Dr. Phone-Erase (iOS)
Wondershare Introduces Dr. Phone-Erase (iOS), a tool that allows you to erase all the data on a computer without leaving a trace of previous use. Even after handing it over to someone else, it is not possible to use software to retrieve the previous data from the mobile. To use this method make sure that the “Find my iPhone“and the configuration of”Activation lock“are disabled for efficient use.
- Download the Dr. Phone tool, available for Windows and MacOS.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer using a USB cable, launch the Dr. Phone application and select the option “Erase“.
- Then choose “Erase All Data“to completely remove the device.
- Later, click on “Erase“To start resetting the iPhone, think carefully if it is necessary to perform a hard reset since remember that this is a permanent process.
- Automatically the data and settings will start to be deleted wait for the reset to finish, once completed it will be like a new device.
- The execution it will take a few minutes, keep your mobile connected throughout the process.
Search my Iphone
Default security application for Apple products allows lock, locate and delete data is supported, iOS 5 and later devices and for Macs with OS X 10.7.5, the steps to follow:
- Login to iCloud.com with your Apple ID
- Select “Search” to proceed with the reset
Choose the device to configure and you will find three options:
- “Emit sound”
- “Lost mode”
- “Erase iPhone”
- Choose “Erase iPhone“to perform a factory reset.
Free up RAM
It may be that your main goal is to free your iPhone, iPad or iPod from junk content and have better application development without erasing any of your data and settings.
Marc forrest, enthusiast of the different Apple products published a way to clear the memory in iOS without restarting the device, we explain how to do it step by step and potentially make a slow iPhone much faster in the process.
- Unlock your device if it has encryption.
- Press and hold the power button until the option to “Slide to power off” on the screen.
- Then release the power button and then press and hold the home button for about five seconds.
- The memory of your iPhone, iPad or iPod or RAM memory, will be less heavy and therefore less slow.
How to reset an iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR?
Basic restart can resolve errors, but not everything in general. In some cases, such as when the device is completely frozen and does not respond when pressing the on / off button, you need a more effective option called hard reset.
Since the power button fulfills the function of the SOS emergency call, the reset process for the iPhone 8, X, XS and XR it is different from other models.
To return to factory settings, follow these steps:
- Press and release volume up button on the left side of your iPhone 8, X, XS and XRS
- Press and release volume down button on the left side of your device.
- Now, press and hold the on / off button on the right side until it restarts and the Apple logo appears.
How to reset an iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and 7 Pro?
Mobile devices define the way in which Apple innovates, although it has a simple configuration system, it works quickly, has few bugs and its user interface is ideal and protects consumer information and data from potential malware and / or viruses.
For the iPhone 7 the company changes the condition in which these models can be restarted and makes the restoration process subtly different. In addition to its novel design in this presentation, the start button is no longer quite a button, it is now a 3D touch panel.
To perform a factory reset all the steps are the same as above except that the on / off button should not be held downInstead, the volume down button and the off button must be pressed at the same time until the corporation logo appears.
How to restart an iPhone 6 and earlier models?
Doing a reset on iPhone 6 or lower devices is very easy, you simply have to execute a selection of buttons that we explain below:
- Hold down the on / off button on the right side next to the volume down button.
- When the slider appears, slide it to the right.
- Automatically, when the screen goes dark, the Apple logo will be displayed.
- Press and press and hold the on / off button to turn on your reset device.
To see in more detail how to reset each model of your device, follow these guides:
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉