We have mentioned on more than one occasion that the most valuable element of a computer is the hard disk. But it is not precisely because of the cost as a product. But rather for its content.
Inside the discs we usually keep not only programs Y records of the system. Our PC also usually hosts documents, Photographs and information important for us.
A crashed operating system can be a reason to lose any of the types of information we mentioned. But just like a video game OS offer a backup utility. To learn more about this we recommend the following post.
What should I keep in mind before restoring a backup?
The most important thing before restoring any system is undoubtedly to create a proper backup. Most of the care and the way in which we carry it out will mean the success of the restoration.
That is why we must first take into account these tips to stop creating the backup:
- Before doing it, clean the device of unnecessary files and that you will not use. This includes software, temporary files, histories, and cookies. In this way, the size of the backrest will be smaller, so the process will be simpler and faster.
- On the other hand, it is good that define what type of backup you want to make. We can distinguish the manuals, that is, those that you do on your own in which you must establish the periodicity. And on the other the automatic. Both are not mutually exclusive.
- Use at least two different supports to save the recovery file. We recommend one physical as an external disk added to a space in the cloud. In this way it is practically impossible not to have this restore point if the device breaks down.
Once you have followed these tips, you can perform the backups no problem. If you want to know how to apply them, continue to next section.
Learn step by step how to restore a backup on any device
While system restores are common to most smart devices, the method to achieve this may vary between one and another.
That is why we offer you a Step by Step for the most used:
The first step will be to create a restore point, to do this, follow these instructions.
- Go to Control Panel. To do this, search for it at startup or press the right button on the icon Windows.
- Once inside the window, click on “System and Maintenance”.
- Then do the same about “System”.
- In this menu, within the panel on the left, select “System protection”.
- In the homonymous tab choose “Create”.
- A box will open, in which you must write a short description.
- To finish press “Create”.
Once this is done, you will have already made a restore point which will later serve to return your Windows computer to this state.
In the event that you already have one or want to return to another specific point, perform the following steps:
- Back in control panel, choose “System and Maintenance”.
- Then do the same about “Backup and Restore”.
- Press “Restore my files” if you want to do it with the current user’s documents. In case you need to do it with everyone’s, press “Restore files for all users”.
- To finish choose “Search files” or “Search folders”. In the first you can view the documents individually, and in the second the files.
Let’s start by creating a backup. For this we will use the application called “Time Machine” and an external storage device.
The larger your capacity, the older the backups:
- The first thing we must do is connect device and in the dialog box select this as backup disk.
- Immediately, the application will perform the backups. Starting with the latest 24 hours and successively until the oldest or until fill in capacity external device.
- If for some reason the dialog box we mentioned at the beginning does not appear, open the application “Time Machine” and click on preferences.
- Click on the button “Select backup disk …”.
- Browse and select the connected device you want to use. We also recommend marking “Encrypt backups”.
- To finish click on “Disk”.
Said device will serve us in the moment of reset the system.
To achieve this continue with these steps:
- Without turn on your Mac, connect the backup disk.
- Then, Starts the computer.
- Go to the file “Applications” and then to “Utilities”.
- In it he opens “Migration assistant”.
- Enter the information requested by the Setup Wizard.
- After the previous step, a window will appear with three options. Choose “From a Mac, Time Machine backup or boot disk”.
- Choose the external device.
- Choose the date restoration.
- Mark the information you want to transfer and press “Continue”.
As in Mac, we will use an application. In this case it is called “Timeshift” and it is the best option so we will save time and work.
Let’s see the steps to follow:
- The first step is to install the utility. For it run the following commands.
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa(Add the repository).
sudo apt update(Update packages).
sudo apt install timeshift(Installing Timeshift).
- Run the application from the terminal or search for “Timeshift”.
- At that moment the program setup wizard will start.
- Select the route where the restore files will be stored. In this location will save the backups according to the periodicity that we find selected in the wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, the software user interface. Press on “Create”.
- For restore, we will perform the previous steps almost identically. With the difference that this time, we will click on “Restore” instead of creating.
- Inside the window, choose the setting you want to apply.
- Press “Next”.
- In the window that continues you must choose the type of files that will be skipped in the restore.
- Press the button again “Next” until the system reboot automatically.
Backups on phones Mac is essential, since the same they are a security element at the same time that they serve if you migrate to a new model.
For this it is best to use iCloud:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Press on your name and then in iCloud.
- Once there, active “Copy to iCloud”.
- Once the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network Yet the electrical power supply, the system will make the copy.
Once the operation is done we can already have this point to restore the system later or migrate that data to a new mobile.
- Turn on the new device or just erased.
- Choose your settings region and language.
- Click on “Configure manually”.
- Do the same with “Restore iCloud copy”. Enter the corresponding information and finish.
To end this text we find one of the systems most used today by mobiles. For this reason, you also need to create and restore backups more often. Since a user changes the mobile on average every year and a half. The best way is to configure Android why do you believe copies automatically.
To do this, open the phone settings:
- Tap on “System”.
- Then in “Backup”. Or look for that name in the mobile app.
- Activate the utility “Backup”.
- If you want to do it manually, just choose “Create backup now.”
As you may have seen, it is quite simple. The same happens for restore said data. For it only you must enter the same Google account on the reset phone or on the new device. The phone will automatically collect the data from the last backup created.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉