Telegram is one of the safest means to communicate, it is similar to WhatsApp, but with improved functions. One of these tools that allows to protect the security of the users the option of choose secret chats.
If you don’t know what these private conversations are, don’t worry! We will explain in detail each aspect and benefit that this new Telegram functionality has.
For it, We will tell you the step by step you have to do to convert your conversations into encrypted end to end (e2e) and how you can know if your chat will be deleted after being read.
What are Telegram secret chats and what is this new functionality for?
It is a resource that the messaging platform has arranged for reinforce protection and privacy in your conversations. These chats are generated in order to discuss sensitive issues with one of your contacts.
The creators claim that they are intended for those who require more security than the average user. A private (or secret) chat differs from a normal message because the latter are stored in the cloud, which implies that they can be decrypted. Instead, secret chats are encrypted and can only be read by the sender and recipient.
What are the main characteristics of a secret chat that you should know on Telegram?
Among the most outstanding characteristics of the secret Telegram chats we mention the following:
- it’s possible send voice notes, make video calls, and record video via secret chats. It is also feasible to share your music, contacts, locations and files between both users.
- Telegram has implemented a end to end encryption (e2e). This kind of encoding is more reliable than that used in regular messages or cloud chats.
- Private talks are not stored on the server, they only reach the receiver and the sender, without the Telegram server accessing the encryption key. In this way it is guaranteed that the messages could not be detected even if the platform hosts are attacked.
- The application provides a way to verify the unique encryption key. You just have to select the name of the person within the conversation and, when opening their profile, the last option will appear Encryption key.
- If you want to know the encryption code you will have to go to Encryption key, You will notice that it is very similar to a common QR code. At the bottom they place a combination of text and number derived from this code. So if you want to confirm security only Compare the figures you see on the screen with that of the other person.
- Its viable choose self-destruct messages. Although this tool is disabled by default, you can activate it by entering the three lines in the upper right corner. Among the options will appear Configure self-destruct.
- You can choose how long private chats will be destroyed on their own. The periods range from 1 second to 1 week. Scroll and select the time and end in Clever.
- Messages self-destruct only after they have been read the first time. Furthermore, as they are automatically deleted, neither you nor your recipient will be able to view them again.
- As an extra measure if you get to delete a file, audio or text within the conversation, it will also be deleted for the receiver.
- Lthe platform prevents your messages from being forwarded by the other user.
- Keep in mind that the photographs and other files can be saved in the gallery or in the folder of downloads. After the person saves it in their personal folder, they can share them at will.
- What it is not possible to make a screenshot or screenshots of the screen being the secret chat open. In this case, it is possible that you will receive an alert if the user on the other side of the screen tried to take a screenshot. The only thing the recipient is allowed to do is copy the text within the conversation.
- Another highlight is that you can generate several secret chats with the same person. So you can deal with different topics in each one or select a different self-destruction.
- Each chat will only be displayed on the device that was started. Whether you have created it on your computer, laptop, mobile or tablet, you will only see it from there. This ensures that third parties do not access them from your account with another device.
- When logging out on a device will be removed immediately all private conversations.
Learn step by step how to create a secret chat on Telegram to deal with private issues
Next, we will show you the step by step to create a secret chat on Telegram from scratch:
Download the app
To enjoy this functionality you must have the application installed on your mobile. Visit the App Store, Play Store or app store of your OS and type in your search engine “Telegram”. Tap on Download or Install, after which you will have to wait the due time. Then, look for the icon on your mobile in the shape of a paper plane and open it.
Link your phone number
In this step you must enter a mobile number that you want to associate with the Telegram account. Don’t forget that it has to be preceded by the area code of your country. Check the box indicating your choice if you want to synchronize the contacts in the notebook in order to continue. The platform will send you a confirmation messageOnce you verify this stage, you can start chatting with any user.
Open your contact list
You may have already set your name, profile picture, and default message. Although not all of this is necessary, yes it will work for your contacts to identify you. Now is the time to enter Send a new message.
This can be done from the home screen and pressing the pencil icon in the lower right corner. Next, you will be able to see the list of contacts that you have associated with your Telegram account. Search for the name of the person you want to chat with scrolling the screen or type the user ID in the upper search bar, at the end press on the magnifying glass to display the options closest to your filter.
Start your secret chat
Once you enter your contact list, you will see some options at the top of the screen. Instead of pressing New group or New channel, choose New secret chat. When you do this, the people that use within your agenda will appear again Telegram. Choose a contact you want to chat with and send them your message. There is an alternative way to generate these conversations encrypted.
These are created within a regular chat between the user’s profile information. To access you must open their messages, then click on the top bar where their name is. Once done, select the three lines in the right corner and then click on Start secret chat. Press again Start and you will already have two types of chats open with the same person. The best way to identify the private is by a lock preceding the particular username.
Set up self-destruction
If you wish, you can activate the automatic deletion of the secret chat you just sent. To do this, you will have to click on the 3 points located in the upper right corner and choose the option Configure self-destruct. Then you will have to choose the moment in which this action will be carried out and clever!
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉