The Internet is a window that offers many benefits for users, because through it you can perform multiple activities. One of the most common is to share files. However, there is a drawback when it comes to very large files.
You have to know that not all platforms support the transfer of files with a high weight, at least not in its free version. Therefore, we will talk to you throughout this post about how you can send and share large files online fast and easy.
Get to know the most popular and secure platforms for sharing heavy files! With this step-by-step guide, you will know how to share data without problems, no complications.
If you need to send a large file online, the first thing that comes to mind is to share it via email. However, it won’t work for you as they have a relatively low limit for files to send.
A better idea is to turn to other more effective options. Therefore, we are going to talk to you about the 3 main ones: Google drive, Dropbox Y WeTransfer. Remember that in each case, you need to have an Internet connection.
The use of Google drive It has become popular over the years, not only because of its ease of work, but also because it supports sending large files. It is an Internet storage service through which you can quickly and safely share all kinds of content. If you are already a Google user, you will have no problem accessing Drive. You should know that it supports a maximum of 15 GB of free storage.
With this in mind, follow the following steps to share content with Google Drive:
- Log in on Google Drive. If you use Gmail, you only need to log in with your Gmail account information, to be able to access Drive.
- Select the button “New” located on the left side of the screen. Then click “Upload files”. When the files window opens, choose the one you want to share (Google Drive supports files up to 5 TB in size if you have the space available).
- Wait for the file to load completely. You can monitor the loading process in the bar located in the lower right corner of the Drive window.
- When the file is uploaded, right-click and tap “Share” or “Share”. This will open the file sharing menu.
To share files, there are two ways:
- If you wish share the file within the same Google Drive, you just have to write the name of other users who also have an account there. This is done in the field identified as “People”. There, you can adjust the permissions so that other users can or cannot edit, comment or perform any action on the document.
- If you wish share with any user using a link, you have to click on a button that says “Get link to share” or “Get shareable link”. Here you can also choose the permissions that you grant to others to work on your document.
Lastly, if you share a file via a Google Drive link, you may need to tell the recipient how to download it. To do this, all you have to do is press “To download” at the top of the window. In case it opens in “Google Documents” or “Google Sheets”, it is necessary to download it in the menu of “Archive”.
Dropbox is another of the most recognized platforms. It works very similar to Google Drive, so it will not be a complicated task to share large files. In this case, you can share to other Dropbox users or generate a link for those who do not have an account here.
Initially, the platform offers 2 GB of free storage and it can be extended in its paid mode. We recommend that if you want to share several files, it is a good idea to compress them by creating a single ZIP file.
To do this you must:
- Select all files to send.
- Click with the right button of your mouse and choose “Send to”.
- Then, click on “Compressed folder (zipped)”.
Once this is done, you can proceed to share your large files in the following way:
- Open the Dropbox website and enter. In case you do not have an account, you must create it and then log in.
- Inside Dropbox, access the folder with the name of “Public”.
- Select the icon “Upload” located at the top. Click on it or the files to share.
- Wait for them to get on the different documents to the platform.
- Click on the uploaded files and select the option to “Copy public link” which is above the file list.
- After that, you can see that the link that you are going to share will be created. If you want to shorten it, just click “Shorten link”.
- Finally, click on “Copy to clipboard” and ready. You can now share that link with the people you want so that they have access to the document and can download it.
WeTransfer is a very intuitive website that is currently being used to send large files. Its use has increased due to the simplicity of being able to share content online.
The steps to follow to do so are:
- Access the web by WeTransfer.
- When you enter, on the right side of the screen you must select the button “I agree” to accept the terms and conditions of use of the service.
- On the left side, click on “+ Add files” and choose the files you want. If there are several, they will be listed in the shipping box. Remember to wait for them to fully charge.
- Enter the recipient’s email (Up to 20 recipients are allowed and they are added by clicking on “+ Add more friends”).
- In the option of “Your email” Enter your email address so that a confirmation message will be sent to you when the files have been sent.
- You can write a short message to accompany the download link of the files that the recipients will receive.
Once you have completed everything, click on the button “Transfer” and ready. The same platform will indicate that the process has been carried out correctly by sending an e-mail.
List of the best platforms to send large files over the Internet alternatives to WeTransfer, Drive or Dropbox
Apart from Google Drive, Dropbox and WeTransfer, there are other equally secure platforms that you can take advantage of to share all kinds of large files. Despite being little known, they are very efficient options that will get you out of trouble.
Next, we talk about them:
This is a very good platform if you really need share heavy files. In order to take advantage of it, it is necessary install an application on your computer or portable and its behavior will depend on the size of the file.
In the case of those who weigh less than 10 GB is stored in the cloud, while those who exceed this weight are sent by P2P. However, it has a disadvantage compared to other websites and its use is a bit complicated for users who are not familiar with the subject.
For those who require the transfer of files without limits on their size, SendThisFile it can work perfectly for them. Keep in mind that you need to register to proceed with its use, despite being free.
It is important to note that its free mode allows uploading of files to a single container with no size limit. But it can be accessed for only 3 days. In case you want more specific benefits, we suggest you purchase any of their payment plans.
It is a very simple tool to share a file to a single person. It is completely free and does not require user registration. It is very easy to use, since you only have to drag the file to share into the box located in the center of the web and share the link generated by Firefox Send.
Apart from that, it has some limits that need to be mentioned. These are:
- The link disappears after download or after 24 hours.
- The maximum supported size is 1GB.
For those looking for really simple options, it was also born Smash. Its free plan allows users to share files without limitation on their size and its availability is open for 14 days after loading.
Registration is not required and you can add a password so that the recipient has access to the downloads. It also offers a paid plan that allows the person:
- To have priority transfers.
- Keep them archives for more than 14 days.
- Access a history and reports of the times files have been sent.
Finally, you will find MailBigFile a website that has an interface quite similar to WeTransfer. In its free mode, the user can share a maximum of 2 GB data in one go. Files will last for 10 days and can be downloaded up to 20 times by recipients.
Regarding its weakness, it should be mentioned that its free version does not offer AES 256-bit encryption. If you want to access it, you will have to opt for the payment plans.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉