The use of passwords in computer folders is a good idea to prevent other people from achieving access private data that can be saved in these files. We will show you the benefits that you will have in this post.
In this way you can be sure that all your data will be encrypted and to access these you must enter a PIN. You can do it in any operating system you have on your computer.
We will explain the steps that you must carry out in the following paragraphs. Further, We will teach you the best programs that you can use to encrypt passwords and manage them.
Why should you password the folders on your computer?
When you use passwords on folders from your computer, you will have the possibility to restrict access to third parties. In this way, the contents that you consider private and contain confidential information will be restricted.
Thus, you can share the computer with anyone else and you will know that documents and images that you have saved in different folders will be insurance. You will also benefit when browsing the Internet, since the hackers (if they can access your computer) they will not have access to important information.
Using these types of programs will also save you money, because you can restrict access to certain applications that have financial information or that are related to bank or credit card accounts.
From all this we conclude that the use of tools to encrypt passwords and manage them on your computer it’s a good idea when you want to have protected your data, those of your family and also those of your company.
Steps to password the folders in the main operating systems
We will show you below the steps you must take to password to folders in major operating systems.
Let’s see how to do it:
The process that you will need to do to protect the folders on your Windows computer by entering password will be the following:
- Guard the information you want to save in a folder.
- Then, right click on it and choose the option “Properties”.
- To finish click on “To accept”. In attributes mark the option “Read only (only for files in the folder)”.
- Tap on “Advanced Options…”.
- Look for the box “Encrypt content to protect data” Y activate it. Then, you must click on “To accept”.
- To check you must click on “Details”. You will see the Excuse me that is assigned.
- In the window that you will have, you must click again on “To accept”.
- Check that you have the function activated “Apply changes to this folder”.
On your Mac computer you will have to follow this guide:
- Open the app “Disk Utility”.
- Click on the option “Archive”.
- Then select “New image” and choose the tool “Image of the folder …”.
- Choose the folder you want to block and then click on “To select”.
- In the countryside “Image format” you must choose the option “reading writing”.
- Then in “Encryption” you will have to search “AES 128-bit encryption (recommended)”.
- Enter password access.
- Press the button “Save”.
When you have a computer with Linux operating system, you must follow this step by step that we show you below:
- Install the packages by typing “$ Sudo apt-get install encfs fuse-utils”.
- Enter your username fuse. To do this you must insert the command “$ Sudo adduser user fuse”.
- Open the file manager and create folder in which you will have the information.
- Create the folder to encrypt, type “$ Mkdir ~ / encrypted /”.
- Writes “$ Mkdir ~ / folder /” to copy the files you want to encrypt and then view the ones that were not encrypted.
- Choose the encryption level and dumps all data that you consider important. For this, you are going to have to use the command “$ Encfs ~ / encrypted / ~ / folder /”.
- Choose the level and then create password.
List of the best programs to encrypt passwords and protect them with password
If you are looking for the best programs to encrypt passwords, you can choose the one you like the most in the following list:
With this tool you will solve all your password management problems, since you can automatically create and complete passwords on different devices that you have enabled in your account.
It offers a free version and a paid version, for which you will have to pay around € 10 per year. It is available for computers with Windows, MacOS and Linux operating systems, but if what you are looking for is to use this program on your mobile, you can do it without any problem, since it is also compatible with Android and iOS.
If you prefer, you can install an extension in your favorite browsers, such as Chrome, Opera, Firefox Safari and Tor Browser. So, you will have to turn on the extension so you can safely remember all passwords that you have saved. The most important thing of all is that to enter these types of browsers, you must put a PIN so that the program identify.
The designers of this program know very well that Internet security starts with good password encryption. Because of this, you will be able to have one of the best password managers that you can find in the market, thus protecting your family and your business.
It has a free version in which you will have unlimited passwords on one device. But if you want to access more features, you are going to have to pay around € 30 per year to sync passwords on different devices, either computers or mobile phones. In addition, you will have the possibility of having a cloud storage up to 10GB.
It is available for Android and iOS, also for Windows, Linux and MacOS. It is ideal to improve the productivity of your employees, since you can prevent them from violating data and other standards established as necessary within your company.
If what you are looking for is a program that provides you with access to the Internet of different applications by a secure means, this tool is ideal for you. It has the possibility that you store, in its Pro version, a unlimited number of passwords and you can access the different apps from any device.
Further, auto-complete function is available, you only have to enter the user name so that the program detects and relates the passwords with the different restricted apps. You will receive alerts in your email and on any other mobile that you assign as a recovery number whenever they want access your applications without the corresponding authorization.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉