Skype is a social network with desktop applications, Tablet Y smartphone which is focused on communication through videoconferencing. To the date, It is one of the best options to choose for both personal and business use.
The Skype’s biggest draw is its audio and video calling feature. It is this last aspect, the possibility of making a group video call with several members was the main reason why Skype it was so well accepted as an internal communication method in various telecommuting companies.
In the next few paragraphs, We’ll teach you everything you need to know about Skype’s video conferencing feature, so that you can get the most out of it both personally and at work.
What are Skype video conferencing and what is this platform functionality for?
The video conferencing is a function widely used by many online communication services. Instant messaging services have this feature equipped as a supplement to their regular functions.
Other applications are more focused on this tool, and among these we can highlight Skype. This software has established itself as one of the most widely used for internal communication of work teams. The main reason for this, is that Skype video calls have a series of functions that place them among the best available. These return to Skype one of the most viable options for virtual classes or online work presentations.
What are the characteristics of group Skype video conferencing?
Being a video call service with messaging add-ons, Skype has functions in both aspects, thus offering its users a respectable number of tools with which to improve their remote communication. Skype It has several functions that allow you to optimize your services.
Among the main tools for video calls available, we can mention:
Only in the video calls section, Skype provides the user with a wide assortment of functions that allow him to take full advantage of this function, and improve the productivity of the meetings carried out.
What are the requirements to be able to conduct group Skype video conferences?
Regardless of whether you use the free version of Skype or the business version, the use of the video call function does not ask for many requirements, so it is likely that you already have everything you need.
To begin, in the software section, you will need to have all the programs updated on the computer:
As far as hardware is concerned, you obviously need to have the audio and video input and output accessories correctly coupled to the computer, for good quality data transfer:
- Monitor for the computer.
- In the absence of the last two accessories, headphones with a built-in microphone are a viable option.
Another important factor in the quality of video conferencing is the environment in which they are carried out.
With this, we mean that it is preferable to make video calls in environments that meet the following characteristics:
- Front light, natural if possible.
- Ambient silence, so that no sounds are filtered into the call.
- Little background movement, keeping the camera focused on the user.
By last, it is advisable to keep the network connection clear, this in order to avoid saturation and reduce the quality of the call, so it is advisable to deactivate all equipment that is consuming the internet.
The recommended download / upload speed for optimal call quality is:
- For group video calls from 3 people we will need between 1 and 2 Mbps.
- Group video calls from 5 people require approximately 4 Mbps.
- For video conferencing from 7 people, the recommended connection speed would be 8 Mbps.
These download / upload speeds are not the minimum necessary to connect to a video call, but they are recommended so that the call is made in the best available quality.
Learn step by step how to create a Skype group video conference from any device
The steps to creating a video conference is very simple Well, this being the main function of Skype, it is to be expected that access to it will be easy, no matter which version we are using it in.
The mobile version of Skype It has two very simple methods when starting group video conferences. You can do it through the option of new video call, or making a call to a group.
For the first method, you just have to be guided by the following procedure:
- Enter the group list assets of Skype
- Enter the group you want to communicate with and press the camera icon.
By doing this, members will receive a toning whereby they can join the video conference. It should be noted that eThis will be the case if the group is greater than 25 members. For groups under 25, they will receive the notification by means of a dial tone. The second method consists of using the function of “New video call” to manually section members from the contact list.
The steps to do this are as follows:
- Press the camera icon, located at the top of the application, next to your profile picture
- Define the topic of the meeting, and select the option “Skype Contacts.”
- Select the contacts that are part of the video conference and select “Ready”
- Click on the button “Start Meeting”
Now all that is left to do is wait for the other members to connect to the conference. Within the standby screen, you will have the option to send a notification to the contacts to inform them of the call
From desktop software
The desktop version of Skype, similar to the mobile application, provides users with two methods of accessing video conferencing. These methods depend on whether you intend to create a new call, or conference with an existing group:
To make a call to an existing group, just follow these simple steps:
- Enter the list of conversations from Skype
- Select the conversation with the members you want to call.
- click at camera button to start a new meeting.
On the other hand, to start a new meeting, you must access from the main screen of the application, and be guided by the following procedure:
- Sign in to Skype with your user credentials.
- click on the button “New meeting.”
- In the drop-down window, select the option “Organize a reunion”.
- Define the meeting topic and click on the option “Skype Contacts.”
- Select the contacts you want to include and click on “Add contacts to the meeting.”
- Click on “Start meeting”.
Skype vs Google Meet vs Zoom What is the best platform for video conferencing?
Video conferencing applications with instant messaging have become a crucial part of communication in the last decade, from personal use to business applications.
To meet the needs of the majority, several applications of this type have come onto the market. However, among the most outstanding we can mention three contenders: Google Meet, Skype and Zoom. The three applications work in similar branches of communication, so they have very similar tools.
To determine which of them is more profitable when hosting videoconferences, it is necessary to compare them in their domain areas:
- Screen sharing feature– At this point, all three services have screen sharing during video conferences, as well as support for a wide variety of document, image and video formats
- Supports subtitles during video conference: Out of the three services, Zoom falls last as it does not have a closed captioning feature for video calls. Skype would come second by including the function, and Meet first, thanks to the completeness and intuitiveness of its subtitles tool.
- Video Call Recording: again, a section shared by the three applications, in addition to being easily accessible through a button that we can access during the video call.
- Security: Meet takes first place here, thanks to the random link generation feature for meetings, reducing the likelihood of an unwanted user sneaking into conferences.
- Adaptability: Although the three applications work in a similar way, the service that has been most updated has been Google Meet, offering better tools to members of remote work groups, as well as teachers and students in online classes.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉