The Microsoft Word program has a number of very interesting features to be able to personalize your documents. One of the most creative is the SmartArt and it allows you to add originality to your writing and add graphics, lists, images and all kinds of forms.
It really is not complicated to use and if you learn to use it correctly, you will undoubtedly get the most out of it. In this sense, if you want to know all the features of a SmartArt, as well as the steps to configure it, read on.
This step-by-step guide will help you whether you are a newbie or an expert. Just follow a few simple steps and you can embed your custom SmartArt in your different documents.
What are all the types of shapes that can be inserted into a Microsoft Word SmartArt?
First of all, it is important to define what is a SmartArt so you know how to use it properly. This is but a graphic element which helps to represent all kinds of information visually. The user has the possibility to choose between different designs to communicate a message more efficiently.
Added to that, you should know that with a SmartArt you can add all the number of additional shapes you want or use some designs that already have a fixed number of established shapes. A clear example of this are the forms corresponding to the counterweight arrows design, with which you can capture only two opposite ideas or concepts.
In cases where you need to convey more than two ideas, it is best to choose to change the design to one that has more than two shapes. For example, using the pyramid list layout will help.
So that you know much better the types of shapes available that you can insert into a Word SmartArt, We leave you a list of the main ones below:
Each of those options has a lots of shape variations that you can customize according to your needs. In addition, you can modify the colors, sizes and other details.
Steps to set the shape format and style your SmartArt objects in Word
Without a doubt, using a SmartArt is a good idea to be able to capture information in a more creative way. Regarding its configuration, it is a very simple task so if you want to get the most out of this Word tool, pay attention.
Maybe the location of some options they vary according to the computer you have and the version of Word you use, however, in general terms the functionalities are the same:
The easiest way to add a SmartArt It is directly on the Insert tab within the Illustrations group. We show you how to do it on Windows, macOS and the web version of Word:
- Click on SmartArt.
- In the dialog that appears, choose the type and design what you wish.
- Will be inserted the SmartArt in the document and there you can start writing in each of the ways.
Add or remove shapes
To add or remove shapes from your SmartArt in Windows, you must:
- Click on the SmartArt.
- Select the shape closest to where you want to add the new shape.
- In the tab corresponding to SmartArt tools, specifically in the tab Design, within the group of Create chart select the arrow next to the button “Add shape”.
- Choose if you want to add the new shape behind or in front of the one you already have selected.
To delete a shape, you just have to press on it and press the button SUPPRESS on your keyboard. To be able to remove the entire graphic element, select one of the corners of the SmartArt graphic and press SUPPRESS.
In case you have a macOS computer, The procedure to add a shape in a SmartArt is as follows:
- Select the SmartArt to which you are going to add the new shape.
- Click on the shape closest to where you want to add the new one.
- Inside the tab SmartArt design, in the group Create chart, click on the arrow next to the Add shape option.
- Choose if you want the new shape to be placed in front of or behind the one you already have selected.
For delete a shapeYou just have to apply the same steps as in the case of a Windows computer, that is, select the shape and press the DELETE button. To remove an entire SmartArt, tap the graphic from one corner and tap DELETE.
When referring to a smartart style, It’s about the combination of various effects that can be applied to such a graphic to enhance its design or give it an original look. Within the different styles is the line, bevel and 3D style.
To apply a style of this type in Windows, follow the procedure below:
- Select your SmartArt.
- In SmartArt tools, of the group SmartArt Styles inside the tab Design, click the style you prefer.
- If you want to see more styles, you have to click on the button “More” it has a kind of inverted arrow.
On the other hand, to apply styles to your SmartArt in MacOS you have to:
- Click on your SmartArt.
- In the tab SmartArt design, located in the group SmartArt Styles, select the style you want.
- To see more styles, click on the button “More”.
Another very interesting option is change the colors of your chart. With the help of the options included in Word, you can modify the color scheme.
To do it in Windows you have to:
- Click on the chart SmartArt.
- In the option of SmartArt tools, in the group SmartArt Styles of the tab Design, click on Change colors.
- Choose the color variation what you wish.
To do it on a macOS computer, you have to follow the following steps:
- Choose the SmartArt.
- In the tab SmartArt design, Within the group SmartArt Styles click inside the option Change colors.
- Choose the variation of colors what you want.
If you want to insert a WordArt into a SmartArt graphic, you must follow these steps on both Windows and MacOS:
- Click on the shape in which you are going to insert the WordArt.
- At the top a section called Format, get in there.
- Inside the WordArt section choose the one that suits your needs and modify color, size and all other details that are necessary.
You can modify the text of a SmartArt in both Windows and macOS as follows:
- Select the text that you are going to change.
- Within Format You can modify the Fill of the text, borders and you can apply some effects such as shadows, reflection, bevel, etc.
- To modify the font type, in the section of Start Will you be able to do it. Added to that, you can put the text in bold, italics, among others.
In addition to all the options mentioned above, you may also need change the location or organization of different shapes of your SmartArt. To be able to do it in Windows, follow the procedure below:
- Select the shape that you want to move.
- Go to SmartArt tools.
- Inside the tab Design, in the group Create chart You can choose between the buttons to raise or lower the shape or move from left to right.
To organize the shapes of your SmartArt in macOS you have to:
- Click on the shape that you are going to modify.
- A window will open right next to it with the name of SmartArt text.
- From there, you can use the up or down arrows to move the shape up or down. You can also move it from left to right are the arrows with that shape.
- Another way to do it is by touching the shape you are going to move and within the tab SmartArt design, choose between Move up or down, or from left to right.
In case you need to modify the size of an entire SmartArt Graphic of Word, you should only click edge of the same and drag controllers sized in or out until you get the dimensions you want. This applies to both Windows computers and macOS.
To resize a specific shape, you can apply the same procedure but selecting only the shape.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉