Few people know that they can turn their computer on and off remotely through a mobile with Android OS. The only requirement is to be connected to the same WiFi network.
In order to achieve this result, you will need to know some components of your computer, for example, the network card. This is necessary for the process to be carried out effectively and quickly.
But this is not the only thing you should do, there are also other steps that you must take To not make mistakes. If you want to know what these processes are, you should continue reading this article until the end.
Steps to program the computer on and off from the Android mobile
The first thing to keep in mind is that you will need to be connected to the same WiFi connection on both devices.
Also, you will have to download a software called “Unified Remote”. To do this, you must enter with your browser the official site of this program and download the program for computers, called “Unified Remote Server”. While the Android app you will have to search for it with the name of “Unified Remote App”.
What you should do now is configure your computer so that the network card can recognize Android commands when it is off. Then you should know the MAC address from the computer and configure the BIOS.
For this, you will have to follow the following steps:
- Click on the Windows start button. In the search bar type “Symbol of the system”. When the icon appears, press the right mouse button and choose the option “Execute as an administrator”.
- A black window will appear. Write the command “Ipconfig / all” and then press Enter.
- Look for the line where it says “Physical address” and keep these numbers in a safe place because you will need them later.
Now, you will need to activate the Wake on LAN tool. To achieve this, you will need to follow this guide:
- Press the start button and then type “Connections”. Several options will appear, you will have to click on “See Network Connections.”
- Right click on “Local Area Connection” and then click on “Properties”.
- Choose the option “Set up”. Then click on the tool “Power management”.
- You will see several boxes, you must choose “Wake on LAN”. You must bear in mind that this option will appear if the network adapter supports the function.
- Make sure the options “Activate in Magic Packet” Y “Activate in Pagic Packet from off state” are marked.
Activating Magic Packet is to wake the computer from sleep or hibernation. This is called “S4 mode”. While this activation from the off state is intended to turn on the equipment when it is off. This is known as “S5 mode”.
At this time, you will have to enable Wake on LAN in the BIOS, follow these steps:
- Turn off the PC and then turn it on. As soon as the main power logo appears (not the Windows one), press the key “Delete”. On some computers it could be “F8” or “F2”.
- The BIOS menu will appear, which is only handled with the keyboard. You must look for the option “Advanced Power Management” or “APM” or “Advanced Energy Management”. This will vary according to your Windows architecture.
- Find the option “Wake on LAN” or “Power On by PCIE” and then activate it.
- Press the key “Esc.” Save the changes by clicking on “Save and Exit.”
At this time, you are ready to configure Android. Do the following process:
- Open the app “Unifield Remote” and click on the side menu icon.
- Look for the option “Servers” and click on it.
- You will then see the connected devices. You will have to press and hold the computer icon that you previously configured until you see a pencil.
- Click on the pencil button.
- Enter the MAC address that you saved at the beginning.
- When you have finished click on “To accept”.
To turn on the computer from Android, you will have to follow these steps:
- Open the Unifield Remote application and click on the option “Controls”.
- Now, you must click on the function “Power”.
- Finally, click on “Wake on LAN”.
If you could not turn on the PC with these steps, you will have to repeat the entire process that we show you.
In case you want to turn off the computer, you will have to follow this guide:
- Make sure the PC and the mobile are connected to the same WiFi network.
- On the phone, open the app and click on the option “Power”.
- Choose the function “Shutdown”.
You will also have other options available in the app. For example, you must click on “Restart” when you want to restart your computer, or “Log Off” to log out user.
Other functions that you have available is to click on “Hibernate” to hibernate the computer and in “Lock” to block it.
List of the best programs and apps to turn your computer on and off from Android
The following applications have been designed to operate the computer from Android. Some come with their respective softwares to install on PCs, which work in a similar way to the app we have analyzed before, the Unifield Remote:
PC Power Controller
This alternative is highly recommended if you have already activated the Wake on LAN and SHH options previously on your computer. Further, you can turn on, restart and turn off the PC in a very easy and fast way. Its download is free from the Google Play Store.
Shutdown Star Remote
With Shutdown Star Remote you will be able to turn a computer off and on remotely, as long as the IP address configuration is public. The highlight of this tool is that you do not need to install software on the PC, but rather an executable JAVA file.
PC Wake Up on LAN
This tool is characterized because it will provide you with functions with which you can turn on the computer, but you can also connect it to WiFi every time the mobile does it. In this way you will not waste time at any time.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉