Today the Taking care of computers is essential to extend their useful life, that is why the importance of turn off the screen of these machines every time they are not being used, as this will help decrease power and battery consumption in the case of laptops. In the same way, take care of all these minimal details will help you performance of your team be as optimal as possible.
It should be mentioned that desktop computers and laptops have different functions that allow you to turn off only the computer screen without having to turn it off completely, this will allow not they close any of your programs or documents, so you can continue to use them once turn on the PC again.
Taking into account that not all users know how to perform this procedure and the importance of doing it, here we are going to teach you how you can start turning off your monitor screen from your Windows 7 desktop or laptop PC, To do this, follow in detail each of the steps that we are going to teach you below:
When is it convenient to turn off your computer screen to protect its useful life?
There are many reasons why you can want turn off only the computer screen, one of them is because this type of action will help decrease the energy consumption of the machine, which happens to be a very favorable point for extend its useful life, and in the case of the laptops it will also help them decrease battery consumption.
Turn off the machine screen it is very important to do it especially in those cases where we have to stop using the equipment either to go out, make food or do any other type of activity that may take a few minutes or even hours. This will prevent the equipment it turns off completely and each one of the programs and documents with which you are working is closed.
It should be mentioned that this method is currently used by many people around the world, as this will avoid having to reopen all the documents and programs you were working with when you turned on the PC. Therefore, this will not only allow you increase the useful life of your equipment, but also give you greater comfort when having to stop your work on the PC to do another activity and then return to it.
Screen off vs Hibernate What are the main differences?
Turning off the computer screen is much easier on a laptop, since there simply it will be enough to close the lid of the same so that it turns off without having to turn off the PC completelybut when this is done the laptop can suspend or hibernate, this will depend mainly on the configuration that the user has.
Now in the case of computer user You must select which option you want to choose for put your equipment in reset mode. It should be mentioned that both options they are very similar and serve practically the same function.
That is why here we are going to show you what are the differences between turning off the screen or suspend and hibernate:
- When the option of suspend equipment will automatically go to a minimal power consumption mode, so that it will only use the energy needed to keep the RAM on and in that way to be able keep all programs and documents that are open on your computer. This means that in RAM will store the current state of the system, which allows the user can find everything exactly as it was left when suspending. In the case of the laptops, when are they suspended and have a good battery percentage, it can last even a day or more.
- Now if you choose the option to hibernate, so the effect your machine will have will be almost the same, but the difference in this case will be found in the place where the data is stored, in the previous case this happened in RAM memory but with hibernation these will be saved on the current hard drive. Thus the power consumption of the desktop or laptop computer will be zero. When this option is activated Hibernate it’s practically as if the computer is completely shut down, since it will not consume no energy by not having to keep any of its components turned on.
Based on all this, it can be said that hibernating is much healthier than suspending the computer, as does not generate any type of energy or battery consumption, so that no type of wear is being generated on the machine, This means that your lifespan will be much longer still. Also, let hibernate or suspend, all that is open will stay open, so that Hibernate will undoubtedly be a better alternative for these cases where you want turn off the screen.
Learn step by step how to turn off the screen of your laptop or desktop with Windows 7
Luckily for most users there are different ways to be able to turn off the computer or laptop screen, this as has already been mentioned will be very useful for those moments where you have to carry out another type of activity, but you do not want to completely close all the programs or documents that are open on the machine.
In accordance with this, here we teach you different methods so that you can carry out this type of procedure:
To be able to turn off the computer screen with the on or off button is one of the easiest and fastest ways to do it, but for this you will need to do some changes to your computer’s system configuration.
In this case, follow each of the instructions that we will teach you below:
- The first thing will be to access the “Setting” from Windows and there enter the section of “System”.
- Then go to “Choose the behavior of the Start / Stop buttons” and later to “Additional power settings” or from the power options on the control panel.
- When you are at that point, you will need to access “Change settings” and then “Change advanced power settings ”.
- There you will be shown a window where you will find different options all of them related to the team’s power plan and also with the hard drive power settings, wireless adapter, wallpaper, on / off buttons, cover if using a laptop, among others.
- Here it will be necessary to perform the configuration so that the screen begins to shut down with the computer’s power button. To do this you must display the menu of “On / off and lid buttons.” There you will find three available options such as “Action of closing the lid” “On / off button action” or “Suspension action”.
- In this case you must select The power button and again two options will appear, these will allow you to indicate the behavior in case you are doing use of the battery if it is a laptop and the other is when the equipment is connected to the power.
- With either of the two options you will achieve your goal, when selecting any of these values you will see the option to “Turn off screen” which are you going to mark for the changes are applied and you can start to turn it off each time you press the power button of the machine.
Closing the laptop lid
Another way to turn off the screen in Windows 7 is closing the lid of the laptop, but for this to be fulfilled it is necessary to make a configuration in the “Energy options” of the system.
To do this, you must follow each of these steps:
- To start you must go to “Control panel” and there click on the category of “Hardware and sound”.
- Within that category you must select “Energy options”.
- Now on the left side of your screen you will find a menu and there the option to “Choose the behavior of the lid closure” which you are going to select.
- After this, you only have to choose the action that you want to be applied at the time of close the lid of your PC. In this case you can select “Hibernate”, “Do nothing”, “Suspend” or “Shut down”.
- Once selected “Hibernate” or “Suspend” the screen of your laptop will start to turn off once you close the lid of it.
Schedule it to turn itself off
Finally, the last way to do this is programming the computer so that it turns itself off, in this case it must be done from power option settings as they have been done in the two previous methods.
Once you are in the plan settings in “Energy options” you will find the option of “Turn off screen”And the possibility of choose a time limit for it to turn off after a period of inactivity, either for when connected to the mains or is working with the battery.
Here you simply have to select the time you want for this change to take place and finally click on “Save Changes” for these to apply.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉