Technology is making devices and programs evolve at a rate impossible to measure with absolute precision. There is not a day in which there is not a new advance or a novelty that affects a different field of our day to day. Without going further, current watches have nothing to do with those of five decades ago. Now they can connect to the internet, manage our email or even allow us to talk to other people, they are known by the name of smartwatch.
A statement that looks like something out of a science fiction movie, but has first and last name: Android Wear. The giant Google decided that working in the field of mobile phones with its Android operating system was not enough, so it decided to take the same leap as Apple with its Apple Watch to launch the smartwatch with OS and a wide amalgam of functions that go well beyond checking the time or setting alarms.
Due to this, the devices that are part of the set Android Wear or Wear OS, they also need to download and install updates for all their features to work properly. By having an operating system inside with which to install apps and do all kinds of tasks, it is necessary to keep them up to date to repair possible errors, renew their software or even increase their range of possibilities. Therefore, it is important to know how to update Android Wear on your smartwatch to the latest version.
How to install the new Android Wear OS update?
The process to do it has two different ways to follow, two that we are going to explain in this guide step by step and reviewing every little detail. Everything so that you can do it on your own and without any risk, in addition to so that you do not have to get lost and spend hours and hours looking for information on the network of networks.
As we have said, there are two possible ways to install the new version of Android Wear or Wear OS on your little wrist device. Well you can do it through the convenient and automatic process or through the manual system, which is somewhat more complex. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, that’s why here let’s explain both so you can resort to the one you prefer or better applies to your situation.
As with the Android updates normal, Android Wear watches also have the ability to update via OTA (“Over The Air” or “By Air”). To do this, whether your device has Android Wear or Wear OS, these are the steps to follow to update to the new version available:
- Go to the settings section of your watch. To do this, look for the icon “Settings” and click on it to enter.
- Now, descend until you reach the section “System updates”. You just have to give it with your finger just above it.
- At that time, if there is an update available for your device, Android will search for it and notify you. Accept and it will begin to install without you having to do anything else. If there are none, you will be notified that you already have the latest version. Easy!
The other possible procedure is install the latest version completely manually. This means that you need not only your Android Wear, but also a computer, a cable to connect the device to the PC and a program to be able to do the transfer and installation: ADB (Android Debug Bridge). We are going to explain everything you have to do, from scratch, below:
Check the version of Android Wear or Wear OS you have. To do this, you must do the following:
- First enter the section “Settings”Through its icon .
- Then, within the list of sections that exist, look for the one of “System” and press it also to be able to access it.
- Once you are in this new menu, go to “Device Information”And, from there, to the section“Versions”. Click on the latter to access details what do you need.
- Now, you just have to look at the section “Home application” or “Android Wear”. If the device is somewhat more modern, the text “Wear OS”. Just look at the version number that accompanies any of these fields and write it down.
*Important: The next step is as simple as downloading the file with the latest update for your watch or wearable. Remember that you must look for the exact model to have the most appropriate update. Click here to find the most suitable file package for your smartwatch. When you find her download it and store it on your PC. It must be a file in format “.zip”.
After this, we continue preparing the material to update. ADB must be installed on the computer in order to connect it. For this, you just have to enter any of the links that we leave below, through your web browser, to download it:
The last point of preparation is to tweak the settings on your Android Wear, to do so, follow these steps:
*Note: All the commands that are exposed in this manual must be written without the quotation marks for them to work correctly.
- Open the section of “Settings”, It descends until it reaches“System”And, when you have your device information in front of you, press several times (up to 7) in the build number.
- After doing this (you have to insist a lot doing the keystrokes), go back to the previous menu and you will see that a new option appears: “Options for developers”. Get in there.
- Look for the section “ADB debugging”, activate it and, above all, accept at the time of allow USB debugging, which is the one that interests us for this procedure.
- Now is the time to start working with your PC and your device. Connect your Android Wear to your computer using the USB cable that you have for it.
- When you are done, open your computer’s command console. In case of using Windows, press the keys Windows + R and writes “Cmd.exe” in the field that appears.
- Now, you have to go to the path where you have installed or extracted ADB. If you use Windows, you must use the command “CD” for it. For example, “CD..“To go back in folders and”cd foldername”To access the one that interests you.
- Once you are in the ADB, you must check if your wearable has been properly connected. Writes “Adb devices” and, if everything is in order, will be listed on the screen. If it does not appear, disconnect and connect again or restart both the computer and the device and try again.
- If it appears, the next thing to do is type again. But this time, you must enter the following “adb reboot bootloader“This will restart your Android Wear to access the bootloader.
- Now, on the device, you just have to access “Recovery”Through the menus that appear. Another alternative, although it does not always work, is to write on the computer “Adb reboot recovery” to access directly, instead of entering “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Still on your connected device, use the menus now to get to the option “Apply update from ADB”, press or accept it to advance.
- Back on the PC, it is time to type the following in the command window: “adb sideload”. After that, the following is grab the update file “.zip” with the mouse and drag it to the command window, in this way your entire path will be written automatically. Hit the Enter key.
- The rest is to wait. After the previous step, you will have to let the computer and your Android Wear work on their own until the latter restarts. When i do, the process will be over. Done!.
Video: Steps to update your Android Wear 2.0
Download the latest version of Android Wear OS according to the brand and model of your Smartwatch
Below you have a list of direct download links (and 100% safe) so that you can have the data package available to proceed later with its installation on your wristband device, since this operating system is recently created, not all smartwatch models have the new update, although we will renew the list as they appear new upgrade. Find your make and model and click to download.
LG G Watch R: Link
LG Watch Urbane: Link
Huawei Watch: Link
Nixon The Mission: Link
New Balance RunIQ: Link
*Note: At the moment the watch models of brands such as Motorola, Fossil, Casio and Michael Kors do not have compatibility with this update method, as new news reaches us we will renew, add or eliminate this list.
If you have any doubts or questions, leave them in the comments, it will surely be of great help to more members of the community, thank you! 😉