Before I start talking about how to update drivers or drivers in Windows operating systems it is necessary to know the meaning of that word. Not everyone really knows what is a driver and the needs that they have within a team. Therefore, the first thing to do is define what a controller is and what it is used for on a computer.
A driver is nothing more than a file that is responsible for telling the operating system of our computer, how you should use the components, devices and peripherals that we have connected to it. In other words, it is about link between a component or hardware and the kernel of the operating system.
Without the specific drivers, the operating system could not detect the peripherals that we have connected to the equipment and there will not be an interface that allows them to be used, since no action will be issued to make them work. Hence the drivers must always be in their latest version so that there are no problems with the recognition of the elements in the system.
How to update drivers in Windows 7?
When we have a driver or controller in poor condition installed on our computer, there may be a situation of instability in the system itself and even, occur one of the dreaded blue screens of Windows 😱. Do not despair, because in principle these controllers update automatically, but you should suspect that they are not in their most current version, when these bugs appear for no reason. Either way, it is essential that you know how to install the latest driver or driver update on your computer.
The easiest way to keep all drivers updated in Windows 7 is through the “Device administrator“, which is a list of all the hardware that is installed on that computer. Then, I will give you a few simple steps to be able to update the drivers automatically using this tool:
- First of all, you must click on the menu “Start” to go to this section. As you probably won’t find it, I recommend that you write in the search bar, which is at the bottom: “Device administrator”To access directly.
The computer hardware is shown as a list of different categories: display adapters, imaging devices, sound …
- If you click on the arrow of each category you can see the devices associated with it.
- Enter the category that fits the driver you want to update and double click on the one you need to update.
- A configuration window will appear. In it you must click on the tab “Controller”And click on the button where it says“Update driver”.
- Now you must click on the option “Search automatically for updated driver software“This will locate and download the most current drivers for that driver, if it is not already in the latest version.
*Note: In principle, Windows does this procedure unilaterally, updating the equipment little by little and gradually over time. But if you detect failures in any device, it may be that the update of one of your drivers has not been carried out or has finished badly and therefore, it is preferable to do it manually.
How to update drivers in Windows 10?
In Windows 10 the driver update system is very simple, since everything is done from the “Control PanelThere are programs that can do this update easily, but we would lose the feature that Windows gives us to do it directly. The steps that we must follow are the following:
- First of all, as indicated above, you have to go to the menu “Start” and click on the option “Control Panel” or as we have shown previously, typing “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- Next, you have to look for the “Device administrator” .
- A list of devices will appear that corresponds to all the hardware that is connected to our computer.
- Double click on the device we want to update.
- Now you have to do right click on the device whose driver you want to update.
- A drop-down of options will open; Choose “Update driver software”.
- For the search to always be done automatically you must click on the option “Search automatically for updated driver software”. This way you won’t have to worry about doing this on future occasions.
- From that moment on, Windows will take care of the rest and it will finish doing the full update.
Download and install the drivers for my Windows computer for free
If you want to get rid of your worries, then I’m going to show you a list of programs that allow you to better maintain the drivers installed on your computer. These are the following:
- Driver Talent: In its PRO version it allows you to recover old device drivers. In addition, it allows to repair the drivers that are corrupted or incorrectly configured or installed.
- Device Doctor: This is the ideal program. Allows you to search and update drivers automatically. Perform an analysis of the components and peripherals of your computer and check that they are all in the latest version available. Come on, a couple of clicks and voila.
- Driver Pack Solution: It contains all the drivers that your computer may need and installs them without the need to have an internet connection available at that time. This program can also be used to update other software on your computer.
- Driver Identifier: It is a very simple program to use that has a portable version so that you can run it on different computers without having to install it. It can be included in a computer repair tool kit.
- Snappy Driver Installer: The advantage of this program is that it can update the drivers offline. After carrying out an exhaustive analysis of your computer to check the status of the drivers, it allows you to select all the updates you want to carry out in one fell swoop.
With any of these softwares you will have under control and continuously analyzed and updated all the drivers or controllers of your computer.
If you have any doubts or questions, leave them in the comments, it will surely be of great help to more members of the community, thank you! 😉