Today we are going to see how to update Google Play Services quickly and for free. As is known today, the big problem with Android lies in fragmentation. This means that there are many versions of the same system that are active and on which simple updates continue to be created. The solution to this problem is through update Google Play Services
Google Play Services is an app that is responsible for updating to the most recent version of all applications related to Google, be it Gmail, Hangouts, Google+, Chrome, YouTube, Google Maps etc.. In addition, from it you can also modify the operating system configuration without having to do a complete update of the device, either on a tablet or smartphone.
Remember that Android is an open source operating system. Therefore, many companies try to make modified versions for their terminals. For this reason, when Google wants to update Android, it must compile a new version that will be available to each manufacturer in a staggered process. First for Google’s own devices and then for everyone else; this becomes a very slow and tedious process for some cell phones and smartphones.
How to update Google Play services manually?
However, if you install Google Play Services on a phone, these smartphones will run updates in the background so that the device is at the forefront without the need to be concerned about it. In the future, this is likely to be the only means Google uses to improve the user experience.
As we have indicated previously, this component has really useful functions, since it allows us to synchronize our contacts, access the most up-to-date security settings for the user or the authentication of their own services through the terminal’s username and password.
On the contrary, you also have to know that if it starts to be used, it will cause some limitations for the user himself because, although we know that the Android platform is open source, Google apps are not, so we will depend on it to be able to work with those applications.
But while we decide what our position will be regarding the use of these Google services, we will see how easy it will be to install them on our phone and how easy it is to update Google Play Services to its latest version. The most important thing initially, is to know the version that corresponds to the device at all times.
To do this, do the following:
- You must go to the section “Settings” and look for the option “Application Manager“.
- Then you must select “Google Play services” .
In that place you will find a number that is indicated in parentheses behind the letters of the version. The only thing you need remember are those last three numbers before the closing of the parenthesis. Each of them gives us a lot of information about our phone.
- The first number indicates the information about the android version.
- The second number indicates the device or CPU architecture.
- The third number indicates information relative to the screen or the number of dots per pixel it can support (DPI).
As soon as we know this information, we proceed to download the latest update of the Google Play Services version, the one that has the same encoding, we will see how to do it for the different operating systems and devices.
For Android phones
If you have a device Android with KitKat, Lollipop or Marshmallow versions you will be able to install the latest version of Google Play Services with hardly any ruffles, because it will be a tremendously simple procedure.
What’s more, if you have activated the option do it automatically, this process will be done without you noticing. The phone will look for the ideal moment to be able to take advantage of all the resources without interrupting its normal use.
To check if you have the automatic update option, follow these steps:
- Go into Google PlayStore , in the upper left corner you will see three parallel horizontal stripes , this will be directed towards drop down menu.
- You have to go to the “Settings” which is just below the whole.
- Then you must go to the option “Update apps automatically“To be able to activate it, you must have the option to update active when we are connected to a Wi-Fi network .
You can start the download directly from the links in higher. With these steps that you just followed, you have managed to update your service apps the moment they detect that a new version has been released; so you can worry about having to be aware of the moment when new versions come out. Google Play Services
it will take care of being always up to date.
For iPhones smartphones with iOS
It is totally impossible to download Google Play Services for an Apple device. This is because APK files (Android Application Package), are only compatible, as their name suggests, with Android devices. There are only a few services that can be downloaded on some iPhone and iPad models:
- Play Games: Web service that adds an option for real-time multiplayer.
- Play Music: Music storage service in the cloud where you can sync up to 50,000 songs.
- Play Movies: Application where you can watch movies and TV series on the iPhone.
- Play Books: Application that allows you to store up to 1000 files in the cloud, although they cannot be greater than 50 MB.
The installation and download of these services is done directly from the own AppStore
. You just have to perform an individual search for each of them and then press on it to start the whole process. It’s all we can offer at the moment, about this type of content for iPhone cell phones.
Download and install the APK of Google Play Services for free
The first thing you should do is download the APK of Google Play Services
From the links that we provide, do not worry, they are totally safe and free of malware. Do not forget to check that it is the version indicated for your phone, as we have explained before.
- You should check that you have activated the option “Unknown sources“or similar to be able to install third-party files. You can see this in the section related to the configuration of your terminal, in”Settings“>”More“>”Security“.
- Once you have downloaded the APKYou only have to click on the file so that it begins to install on your device. You can also do it from the notification that pops up and indicates that a file has been downloaded.
- After completing this step, you just have to enter the application to configure it to your liking.
You can select the option for update automatically or update manually as follows:
- Go to the PlayStore on your phone and search for the Google Play services application.
- If you do not see any button indicating that you should update it, it is because this is done automatically or because you have already done it.
- On the contrary, if you see an option that says “To update“, you must click on it. It will be your own terminal that will check if you have enough battery to update Google Play Servies to the latest version and if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- You will confirm that everything is correct when you access the application again and no update button appears and put “Open“.
Problems with Google services and how to fix them
Google Play Services requires authentication
This is usually the first problem that users face. To fix it you have to go to the phone settings section and select the option “Accounts“. Once there, we must delete the account that is giving us an error and add it again. If it still fails, we must go to the Play Store and download and reinstall the application so that the data is deleted .
Error 498 may appear
The application cannot be downloaded. To solve it you have to clear the cache on your phone; This is done from the recovery mode of the terminal.
You can get the 403 error when downloading the application
This generally occurs because there are multiple Google accounts; so to fix it you have to deactivate one of the active accounts and uninstall and reinstall the Google Play Services application.
Excessive battery and resource consumption
Perhaps one of the most important problems is that Google Play Services consume a lot of battery. So you have to try to follow the following steps to avoid this incident:
- Must disable app verification which is done continuously in the background. To do this, you will have to go to the menu “Settings” and, in the security section, remove the check in “Check Applications“.
- Must disable auto sync. This is done since the “Settings“from Google Play. You have to uncheck the option”Automatically connect in games“.
In the event that an error arises that has not been mentioned in this section, the solution is always to clear the data or the cache of Google Play services. Usually all problems have the same solution.
Why can’t I update Google Play Services?
To update Google Play Services you have to always clear the cache of Services. Access for this option is in the information section of the applications. To get there, you have to search for “Google Play Services” in the Play Store. Once inside, you have to click on the button “Clear Cache“.
The last solution to carry out is to make a backup of your phone data and make a backup of it. This is what is known as “Factory data restore“and you can do everything from the menu”Settings“from your cell phone.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉