Launched on the world market on March 3, 2017; Friday, like the vast majority of launches in the video game sector; Nintendo Switch is the most recent game console from the Japanese giant Nintendo. This company, which has been in operation since 1889 and since 1983 dedicated to the field of electronic entertainment, has once again established its innovative and experienced position in the sector with a system that can be both a portable and home console.
A game console with removable controls that you can connect to your television or carry around to play on long trips or short breaks. Like all current ones, has an operating system that requires going through different revisions from time to time, Or what is the same, download updates to polish its operation, improve its performance and, incidentally, incorporate more possibilities for the user. So, for example, you have implemented a video saving system or even improved the ability to send content to social networks.
Needless to say its installation is mandatory and essential to avoid possible problems, as well as to connect to the internet. If you have to, but you don’t know how to update Nintendo Switch console, this guide will give you the answer you need explaining step by step what you must do so that the version of the operating system is always the most recent and so that, incidentally, your controls are also updated. Because yes, those known as Joy-con they also receive updates.
Steps to follow to update the Nintendo Switch console
In the following sections, in addition, we will also explain which ones have been the most important improvements that have come with the newer versions of the console firmware. Each time one of these updates lands, its users come across more and more novelties that serve to take advantage of an ever-growing range of possibilities.
Despite being a console that has not been on the market for a long time, Switch has already received several firmware updates that have served to improve its performance and incorporate more and more new functions. In most cases, these are small modifications to fix errors here or there, but one way or another they end being mandatory installation so that access to the eShop, to multiplayer and, ultimately, to its entire online component.
Therefore, we are going to explain the steps to follow to install the latest version of the Nintendo Switch firmware manually. Although it has the option to do it automatically, it may not detect the available updates well, if that is your case, follow this procedure:
- First, turn on your Nintendo Switch console.
- Once the operating system has loaded and you are in its main menu, go down to the list of options at the bottom of the screen, go to “Console configuration” and press the button A or touch it to enter, it is the penultimate one available.
- Now, go down through the different sections of the left side until you reach “Console”. Again come in pressing A or by tapping the option. It will move you to the right side of the screen.
- The following is as simple as clicking “Console update”. When you do, if there is an update available, it will appear on the screen and you will be asked if you want to install it. Accept and let the game console take care of the relevant download and installation. When done, you may need to restart to apply the changes.
*Note: Something that is obvious but sometimes we miss it, is that to carry out this process we will have to be connected to the Internet, preferably to a Wi-Fi network in a secure way, so that the installation package can be downloaded.
It is also possible to update the two controllers of Switch, the Joy-Con. It may be necessary to improve their performance and accuracy, so it is advisable to keep them updated. To do this, do the following:
- Repeat all the previous steps until you are within the section “Console configuration”.
- Now, descend until you reach the section of “Controls and sensors”. As we have already said, you just have to press button A or touch to access.
- Within your settings, keep scrolling down until you find “Update controls”. Click there so that, if there are updates ready for them, they are installed and are the order of the day.
If you follow these two procedures, in addition to having your game console renewed with the newest version of its software, you’ll also make sure your controls are at the same height.
What improvements does the latest update of the Nintendo Switch incorporate?
Although in most occasions Nintendo just quote “Stability improvements” or “Minor fixes” When it comes to the updates released for your most modern console, the latest updates have included important improvements for both the system and your hardware.
The latest update for the Nintendo Switch, a minor that installs the version 5.0.2, has included the following enhancements:
- Fixed issues with motion control for games that use this feature.
- Fix for bug where recommended friends icons were not appearing correctly.
They are few, however, the latest major update for Nintendo Switch, which installed the update 5.0.0 for the console operating system, it did include really big changes:
- Connect with Facebook or Twitter friends, and can also be added as friends within the console system.
- Use new icons for your user profile. A total of 24 new ones taken from recent releases.
- Improvement in download speed of apps or games whose purchase has been made through the PC or smartphones.
- Restriction of stored videos based on the age rating of the game from which they were extracted, controllable through the implemented Parental Control.
- Best representation of the connected controls to the console in the detection section of these.
All this, added to the corresponding fixes of errors detected in the system and different fields of it, in addition to other better modifications, are the most remarkable improvements from the latest major update to the hybrid console. Therefore, do not allow much time to install the new updates, since otherwise you will be missing many surprises that the giant of the video game world has prepared for us!
If you have any doubts or questions, leave them in the comments, it will surely be of great help to more members of the community, thank you! 😉