When we play a video game on a computer or a screen is shown with both two-dimensional and three-dimensional elements that it has to calculate in real time, a API (Application Programming Interface), a kind of digital library that is responsible for offering all the instructions so that the computer can work developing these graphic environments.
Currently, the most widespread premise is that offered by Microsoft, Directx. The Redmond company created this API in the 90s after the premiere of the game The Lion King on PC to avoid problems with the development of future releases and, inadvertently, it laid the foundations for something that has become a standard in the computer industry, as well as the door for other companies and groups to decide to build their own libraries.
So was born too OpenGL, an alternative created by Silicon Graphics in 1992 in order to have their own way of making it easier for IT teams to deal with 2D and 3D images and that is currently updated both inside and outside of video games. Virtual reality, flight simulation, working with CAD and many professional settings use this option today.
Update Open GL Drivers for Windows
Some of the most cutting-edge games of today require the latest update of this API installed on the PC. So knowing how to update Open GL to its latest version It’s very important. Here we are going to explain it step by step so that you do not have any inconvenience and your team is always up to date.
OpenGL has been the most common graphics library for both desktop and laptop computers. When it comes to playing the most cutting-edge video games or even working with three-dimensional modeling, this system has proven to be the most powerful in recent years, always hand in hand with DirectX, Microsoft’s proposal.
If you want install the latest version of Open GL drivers for Windows 10 and 7, you should know that only one requirement has to be met: download the latest version of your graphics card drivers, which is responsible for using this proposal to display graphics on the screen.
This step is essential for your computer to be compatible. Let’s focus on it, dividing it into the three main signatures that you can have on your computer: AMD Radeon, NVIDIA GeForce or Intel Graphics.
For AMD Radeon and Windows graphics cards
- You can go directly to the AMD download website from here for a much more personalized download.
- Go to the box with the text “Manually select your controller” and complete each box that appears with what corresponds.
- In step 1 you must choose the type of product, in this case “Graphics Cards“
- In number 2, the family to which your card belongs, something you should check by looking at its box
- In the third, the exact model
- The fourth, the operating system (Windows 10 or Windows 7 in this case)
- Tap on “Display Results”.
- Now, click the button “To download” in section “Features“, right next to “Radeon Software”. This will start the automatic download of the latest version.
- When it’s done, open the program and follow the installation process. Press “Next”As many times as requested on the screen and, when finished, restart your computer.
- You have already updated your Open GL drivers on AMD.
For NVIDIA GeForce and Windows graphics cards
- To go directly to the drivers page for your NVIDIA card do click here and you will enter a form to find your version for later download.
- In section “Option 1“, You must establish values in the different boxes:
- “Product Type”, The family of your card (GeForce)
- “Product Series”, The range
- “Product“, the model
- “Operating System“, The operating system
- “Language”, Language you want
- After this, click on “Search”.
- NVIDIA will teach you the search result for the most suitable controller. Click on “download now”.
- When you have the installer on your PC, just open it and continue the installation. You will have to restart for the changes to take effect and you will already have the newest version of the OpenGL driver on NVIDIA.
For Intel Graphics and Windows graphics cards
- You must go to the official website of the brand to access its download area from here, you will be able to choose the drivers of your card in a personalized way.
- When loading, you will be inside the section “Downloads” from the Intel Support Portal. Starts with choose generation to which your integrated graphics card belongs in the field “Products”.
- When you’ve done it will reload the web and, again in the same field, you can choose the specific model of your graph. Do it.
- Choose “Drivers” on the menu “Download type“
- To select Windows 10 or 7 in that of “Operating system“
- Now, choose between the alternatives that appear in the lower half of the window. It is best to always go for whatever it is Latest in terms of release date.
- After you have done so, an installer will be downloaded to your PC. Wait for it to finish and open it to proceed with driver installation most current. You will have to restart when finished.
- After this procedure, you already have the Latest version of OpenGL on Intel Graphics.
Download and install the latest version of OpenGL for free
When you have already downloaded and installed the latest updates for your graphics card drivers, you already have all the OpenGL libraries and you can use it for video games that have support for it, as well as for all the software that needs it to work. No additional installation required in order to take advantage of the functions of this system.
Download AMD Radeon drivers
Download NVIDIA GeForce drivers
Download Intel Graphics Drivers
Thus, to download and install the latest version of Open GL for free on your PC, all you have to do is follow the steps we have indicated in the previous section. Remember that we have indicated three different alternatives depending on the manufacturer of your computer’s graphics, since each one has a slightly different method.
If you have any doubts or questions, leave them in the comments, it will surely be of great help to more members of the community, thank you! 😉