Windows XP has been in use for over a decade on countless computers around the world. The popular Microsoft operating system It is here to stay, demonstrating such robustness and performance that, despite new versions such as Windows Vista or Windows 8, many have wanted to stay in it for the good performance that it brings with it in any team.
It is true that, with the passage of time, other revisions and editions of systems have also arrived from the same company, such as Windows 7 or Windows 10, which have managed to go one step ahead with respect to what it offered in all possible fields: from connectivity to performance to compatibility and endless more possibilities. In short, they are much superior and, in addition, they have a great asset in their favor, and that is that they continue to be part of the systems to which their managers offer support, XP having already been forgotten almost completely.
Because of this, we are going to explain how to update Windows XP for free. The truth is that, despite the fact that its support has already been canceled, there are ways to keep getting updates until 2019, something that can be very useful for those who still do not want to move and prefer to stay with this system with which they have been comfortable for years. Although it is not recommended, you can keep using it to enjoy your gear.
How to keep updating your Windows XP operating system? Is it still possible?
Even so, We are also going to explain the steps to follow if you want to make the leap to W7 or W10, the two most modern and optimized systems. It is never too late to update completely and, if you dare to do it now, you will not have a problem if you follow the procedures that we are going to detail.
Support for Windows XP updates stopped running a while ago. With the arrival of new editions and systems, Microsoft decided (naturally) leave behind this popular system to bet on the most modern and focus your efforts on these to offer the best user experience in them.
Although it is no longer possible to receive updates, because there are not at least according to official Microsoft statements, yes there is a way to modify the system so that new revisions keep coming. You just have to do what we are going to indicate in this section.
To allow the system to install the updates without the need for you to interfere, follow the steps that we are going to list below:
- Push the button “Start” at the bottom left to open a drop-down menu.
- Inside it, head to “Run…” and click there.
- In the write box, enter “Notepad” and then click on the button “To accept”.
- When the plain text document is opened, you must enter what we leave below:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
“Installed” = dword: 00000001
- When you have written it, close the window and accept to save. You can put the name you want. However, you must store it with the ending .reg instead of .txt; also marking “All the files” in “Kind”.
- After that, open the file you just created and accept all the questions they ask you to make the modification in the Windows registry.
- Go back to the menu “Start“; but, this time, go to “Control Panel” when you are inside him.
- In the window that has just opened, you must enter the section “Automatic Updates”.
- Then, another menu will appear in which you have to check the box “Automatic (recommended)” and mark the periodicity you want.
- This done, click on “Apply” to save the changes, and then under “To accept” to end. Ready!
Steps to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7
Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 It is an easy process, requiring only a series of simple steps, but it does take time due to the amount of files that must be moved.
Before continuing, it is important that you know the system requirements to see if your computer meets them:
- Processor: 32-bit or 64-bit 1 GHz CPU.
- RAM: 1 GB for the 32-bit version and 2 GB for the 64-bit version.
- HDD: at least 16 GB of space (32-bit) or a total of 20 GB (64-bit).
- Graphic card: DirectX 9.0 compatible.
W7 ISO Download Versions:
This is what you have to do to update the operating system:
- Make a backup of the most important files on your PC. You can store those that you consider vital in an external memory or in the cloud or using dedicated tools.
- It’s time to create a USB installer. But first, make sure download the W7 operating system ISO file first (* Follow the links above).
- When you have it, the next thing is to download the program “Windows USB / DVD Download Tool”. To do this, enter this URL in your browser: https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=wudt. Once inside, click on the button “download archive”Above on the right.
- Once downloaded, install the program. It is essential for the update.
- Then open it to start the copy the installation image to the USB pen-drive.
- Start by searching the path where the Windows 7 ISO is. Click on “Browse”Or”Folders“and search through your directories until you find it. When you pick it up, click on“Next”Or”Next“.
- Choose the type of media where it will be copied. In our case, click on “USB Device”.
- On the next screen, you must choose the device in question. Click on the bar to choose the USB you are going to use (* must be connected). If it doesn’t appear, click the button on the right and look again.
- Already chosen, click on “Begin copying” for the transfer to begin. Let the program do the rest.
- By the end, reboot the PC with USB connected and enter BIOS. You must establish that this external memory is what the computer looks at when it starts up. Find the section “start“Or”Boot”And modify the parameters to do so.
- Restarted the computer, let it detect the memory and start installing. The rest of the process is fairly straightforward and requires nothing more than accepting when requested and waiting for the data to transfer.
Upgrade Windows XP to the new version of Windows 10
In the same way that it is possible to go to W7, you can also update Windows XP to the newest version of Windows 10. It is an almost identical procedure to the previous one, with minor modifications that begin with the system requirements that you must meet on your computer. Take a look below:
- Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit CPU.
- RAM: 2 GB for the 32-bit version and 4 GB for the 64-bit version.
- HDD: at least 20 GB of space (32-bit) or a total of 22 GB (64-bit).
- Graphic card: compatible with DirectX 9.0 and with a minimum compatible resolution of 800×600.
If your device meets these specifications, now is the time to upgrade. Follow these steps:
- Copy all the information you want to protect on your PC using the cloud or specific software.
- Download the ISO file of the operating system W10 (it is easy to find by the networks).
- Now download the program “Windows USB / DVD Download Tool”. You can do it by entering this URL in the browser: https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=wudt. Inside, click on “download archive”.
- Install now the program.
- Open it up and start with copying the image to USB.
- Find the route where it is Windows 10 ISO. You must press “Browse”And look on the hard drive until you find it. Take it and press “Next”.
- Choose where to copy clicking on “USB Device”.
- Now, choose the device. Click on the bar to choose USB that you are going to use (must be connected).
- Then click “Begin copying” for the transfer to begin.
- Restart the PC with the USB connected and enter BIOS. You have to enter the boot options to indicate that it is done through the USB memory. When you do, reboot.
- The rest of the process is fairly straightforward and requires no more than waiting and accepting when asked to move forward. Let the installer take care of the rest.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉