As the operating system updates from Microsoft, more functions are added, others are eliminated, and some are moved. Thus, when changing Windows version we may lose sight of them.
It is the particular case of Windows 10 Library. It was present in the versions 7, 8 and 8.1. Although it is also available in the latest, is hidden or disabled default.
To learn more about this utility, how to activate it and how to use it correctly, we invite you to read the following post.
What is the W10 File Library and what kinds of documents are stored in it?
It is a very useful tool both for organized people like those that are a little messy. This is because with it you will be able to locate your files quickly and easily. Library it is a file that contains virtual libraries. That is to say, that all the elements that we will find in it are rather links or links and not documents themselves (they do not take up substantial additional disk space).
This service it is very useful to manage content by characteristics and optimize searches. Strictly speaking, the class of documents that this file stores is that of links. The same can be categorized into sub libraries. The advantages of the latter are that we can personalize them with names and icons arbitrary. In addition to optimize them to search for the characteristics of its content.
Another advantage of using this tool is that it is we will have documents from different locations on the disk in one place. Without the need to create individual shortcuts. To this is added the Benefit that every time files are added to the original file, the library will be updated automatically. Another one of the positive qualities is that the same location can appear in two or more libraries at the same time.
For example, if we have the category “Wallpapers”, “Images in HD” Y “Animals”, a file that has these characteristics can be linked to all three. Likewise, each “Virtual library” it is capable contain multiple real file addresses. And in turn other libraries. In this way, nothing prevents us from indexing the content manually.
Now that you know what the advantages of use Windows 10 file library, Now we can start using it. Next, we will see how to do it correctly.
Follow these steps:
- The first thing we must do is make sure this utility is visible in the navigation pane of Windows. If not, open the browser from the “start menu” or press “Windows button + E”.
- Select the tab “View” and then it displays the menu of “Navigation panel”. Both are in the upper right corner of the window.
- Choose “Show libraries”. From that moment you will be able to visualize a new icon in the side panel navigation.
- Login at. You will observe six default categories inside.
- “Camera album” containing images of it. If your computer doesn’t have one, it will have empty content.
- “Documents” which links the files from the location C: Users Administrator Documents.
- “Saved images”, this library contains a link to the file “Saved Pictures” of the main disk.
- The same goes for the remaining “Images”, “Music” Y “Videos”.
But what if we need create our own library I Add links to others locations.
Well, it is possible and in a simple way with the following method:
- For create a new library go to the tab “Start”.
- Within this menu, display “New element” and click on “Library”. You can also achieve it from the options of the secondary button mouse “New”.
- Done the previous step a new element will appear, which you must name.
- Open this new library and press “Include a folder”.
- Browse and select the file you want to add with the browser Windows. To finish press “Include folder”.
- If you wish add more locations, within this library, enter the tab “Library tools” and select “Manage library”.
- Within the pop-up window, choose “Add” and repeat the above process.
- As we mentioned before, browsing the content of your computer in this way has its advantages. One of them is use custom icons for each bookstore.
- To achieve this, right-click on the library icon and choose “Properties”.
- Press “Change library icon” and choose between the established designs of Windows. Or add a custom one as we show in this post: Custom icons
Within this window, it is also possible adjust library according to content. Do this by displaying the menu “Optimize this library for:” and choose the type of elements it contains. Said modification, improves how quickly Windows finds files with the browser. Also, change the default shape of the icon size.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉