So that the Windows operating system keep up to date, Microsoft launched the Windows Update service. It is an internal procedure that, when the computer is connected to the network, is responsible for looking for updates, patches and all kinds of additional downloads with which to add new functions, repair errors or simply improve the performance of the computer. It’s something that’s been around for countless years and that, despite the good intentions it brings, it is not always free from errors.
Whenever you try add improvements or changes, or at least almost always, it tends to “touch” some part that causes another element to fail. The code that makes up the guts of an OS like Windows is somewhat elaborate and complex, so a small modification in any part can trigger a kind of butterfly effect that affects the rest. In fact, one of the most common problems among Windows 7 users has to do with the update protocol itself.
Many users have found that when they try to update, Windows Update keeps looking for updates infinitely, something that prevents being up-to-date in reviews because it never finishes finding anything, much less allows patches to be installed. If this is your situation and you wonder how to fix it, you can breathe easy, because This guide will be in charge of giving you all the information you need to remedy it., explaining all the steps to follow at all times and what downloads must be carried out.
Windows Update update loop won’t stop, how to stop it?
Fortunately, the own Microsoft is aware of this persistent flaw and it has released certain fixers with which to fix the problem. However, first, a series of procedures must be applied to stop the updater protocol in order to be able to freely manipulate it with manual updates. All that, and more, we explain here.
If you see that Windows Update never takes place because the loop does not stop, you have two different ways to stop the process and fix it. We will explain both below:
- Go to the menu “Start” of your Windows 7 by clicking on the button at the bottom left.
- Now, inside the box to search, you have to write “Windows Update”, a list of programs will appear in which you have to choose “Windows update”.
- In the window that has just opened before you, you have to look for the section “Change settings” which is on the left and click on it.
- You will then see that the content of the window changes. Look for the box “Never check for updates” and mark it to later confirm the changes you have made.
- It’s time to Restart your computer to finish applying these modifications. From now on they should not try to install updates automatically.
- With your keyboard, press the key combination Windows + R so that the window of “Run”.
- In the space to write, you have to enter the following (* without quotes): “Cmd.exe” and press the Enter key.
- You are inside the command console, so now you must enter the one indicated below: “Net stop wuauserv”.
- If you get an error message while doing this, you have to run the “Symbol of the system” as administrator. Go to the search bar of the start menu, type “cmd”And, in the first result, click with the right button to then choose the option “Execute as an administrator”. Re-enter the command from the previous point.
- Restart the PC so that the changes are applied and stop having the problem of the eternal update of Windows.
How to fix the problem of Windows Update downloads?
Once you have stopped automatic Windows Update downloads, the next thing to do is to remedy this error so that it does not happen again. Fortunately, Windows 7 has files that can be downloaded and installed to fixIt is precisely this error that has bothered a large number of users so much.
Thus, after having followed either of the two methods indicated in the previous section and verified that the system does not try to install updates and enter that eternal loop, You have to follow the instructions that we are going to indicate below:
Open your web browser, since you have to download a few files to install the necessary patches on your operating system. Now, you have to enter the following URLs depending on the version of Windows 7 you have:
Windows 7 32 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Downloaded both files in the corresponding version, you must install them in the same order in which they were downloaded. That is, open the KB3020369 installer and when you finish installing it, continue with KB3172605. Done the previous step, restart the PC for all changes made to the system to take effect.
You already had to fix the problem thanks to these patches released by Microsoft. The next thing you should do is reactivate automatic updates so that your PC go back to searching the net to install patches and keep your system always up to date. It is very important to remedy this situation as soon as possible, since updates are something that reaches the operating system every so often and they always aim to fix any possible failure, in addition to improving the performance of the equipment.
Check that the eternal Windows Update loop no longer repeats And if it happens again, repeat the process from the beginning. You will see how it ends up being solved and you can proceed normally in a very short time.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉