Usually when doing jobs or documents, texts are usually horizontally oriented. But this is not a totally strict rule, as there are many documents that you may need write vertically.
If you still don’t know how to do it in Word, we will give you a step by step guide where we specify how to do it easy and fast. In this way, you can write a vertical text and then rotate it to face left or right, depending on your needs.
Also, keep in mind that this type of vertical texts You can do them both with ordinary fonts and with the WordArt tool, which allows you to make art with the texts.
What type of documents do I need to write vertically?
Although it is unconventional to use documents with vertical writing, its use may help to provide a different style to your work. Therefore, it is always a good idea to know how to do it and in which cases to apply them. In this sense, there are different documents that can take advantage of vertical writing.
Some of them can be:
- Diptychs or triptychs.
Using this type of writing sense can help you highlight a specific section of your text or even to give it a touch of originality. If you combine vertical writing with text effects, you can achieve amazing results.
What to keep in mind before setting up vertical writing in Word?
Inside Word the two text orientations can be combined, that is, you can write horizontally and vertically. However, it is possible that the document undergoes a series of modifications that you should consider.
For example, you will see changes in:
Therefore, we suggest you take these details into consideration before configuring the vertical writing. If you notice unwanted text changes, you just have to modify it to your liking and that’s it.
Steps to write vertically in Microsoft Word fast and easy
The best way to write in vertical sense within Word, it is with the help of the tool “Text box”. Inside it, you can write all the information you need and, later, modify the orientation.
Here we explain different ways to do it:
Insert vertical text box
This is the basic way to be able to write a vertical text within Word.
The steps to follow are:
- Login to Insert.
- Once there, click on Text box and then in Vertical text box.
- Write the text you want in the box.
Rotate text box horizontal to vertical
In case you want to rotate a ready-made text box, which has the horizontal orientation to a vertical, you must follow a series of steps.
For this you have to do the following:
- Select the text box you want to turn.
- Click on Home / Position / Rotate shapes.
- Once there, click on Rotate right 90 or Rotate left 90 degrees. You can also use the rotation handle that the text box has.
Stack text vertically within a text box
Finally, you have to know that the option of “piled up” is only available in Powerpoint and in Excel. However, you can stack words vertically within a text box. This option is recommended for only words and not paragraphs in general, since they can be visually confusing.
In this case, the way to do it is:
- Go to Insert / Text Box.
- Proceed to write the text what you want.
- Select one of the corners from the text box and drag them to the first letter of the text. This will make the box narrow and stack vertically.
Place WordArt vertical
The WordArt it is written in a landscape orientation by default. However, it is possible to change it to vertical.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Enter the tab Insert and click on the option WordArt.
- Choose the style you want and enter the text. Then click To accept.
- Tap your new WordArt inserted into your document to see the formatting options.
- Choose Format in the WordArt options.
- Choose the option Vertical WordArt Text. You can also find it in the option of “Text direction”. This way the text will be vertically aligned.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉