Nowadays, it is practical and convenient to have programs to carry out both everyday and more complex tasks. In the latter case, financial and accounting tasks are included.
One of the most common tools in the computer world are spreadsheets, made up of graphs, mathematical operations, statistics, tables and many other procedures that have facilitated the preparation of works related to finance and economics.
But how is this spreadsheet represented? It has a format called the .xls file extension, which can be seen in programs like Microsoft Exceor others with the same characteristics installed in other operating systems. Next, we will specify about this type of format so that you know more about it.
What is .XLS files and what are they used for?
The .xls file extensions are formats installed for versions before or equal to Microsoft Excel 2003, developed for the Windows operating system and then implemented by Mac, although the most modern applications also have the capacity to support this type of files.
As we mentioned, these extensions respond to file types related to mathematical and statistical work, essential for accounting, finance and economics work tasks. So, with them you will have the possibility to perform procedures from the simplest, such as basic mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) even more complex, containing formulas and other functions that help to produce various graphics.
Although this type of format is recognized by default on computers and / or smartphones that have the Microsoft Office package pre-installed (which has Excel), sometimes you can use other programs or applications that present aspects similar to the one mentioned, either because the file extension is not recognized by the tool or simply because of greater comfort and confidence in the program chosen to carry out the task.
How to open .XLS files on smartphones or computers?
Now that you understand that XLS are files that contain spreadsheets, you can surely imagine how to open them easily. All you need is a program that can create and view these types of documents.
However, each operating system has its own program specially designed for this, so we will teach you how to do it easily in the main.
On Windows PC
Default, the Excel program from the Microsoft Office catalog, is intended for opening and creating files of this type. In an efficient way, it allows you to develop your tasks easily, with a tool panel accessible to the user, which will lead you to create, edit, view and share these files.
To open such a file, you just have to double click on it and the program will automatically recognize it.
In the case of wanting to create one, Excel is accessed from a blank spreadsheet, which will allow you to develop everything you want.
- Search in “Start” Folder “Microsoft Office” and locate within it the option “Excel”.
- Once you open the program, you must click on “Blank book” right in the middle of the interface.
- Now you simply have to record data in said book and when you save it you will get an XLS file.
On Pc Mac
In the case of Mac computers, which also have Excel, the file is opened as follows:
- In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click “Go” and then in “Applications”. Locates “Microsoft Office” and double click on “Excel”.
- Once there, click “Archive” in the menu that is located at the top of the program and then press “Open”.
- Here you will find the file or .xls file that you want to view, double clicking on it.
In the Play Store, there is the possibility of download the excel application, which is handled in the same way as you would from a computer. Once the program has been downloaded to your Smartphone, just find the .xls file and open it, and the app will automatically recognize it.
The same happens with a new spreadsheet. From the application, you look for the option “New spreadsheet” and you will have the possibility to create a file from scratch.
Microsoft Excel is also downloadable from the App Store, so it will also work just like you would create or open an .xls file from a Mac or iPad computer.
What you should do is install the app on your iPhone and after that you simply have to touch the file you want to see, so that the tool starts automatically and you can view its content.
List of the best alternative applications and programs to open a document with a .Xls extension without using Microsoft Excel
As we mentioned before, currently there are many programs that can read XLS files successfully, and you can handle them just as you would in Excel.
Here is a list of the best alternatives currently:
- Google Sheets: Also known as Google SheetsIf you have a Gmail email account, you can access this tool from any computer or Smartphone, regardless of the type of operating software you have. It has aspects similar to Excel; it also gives you the possibility of saving your files in the cloud or Google Drive, without risk of loss.
- Calc: developed for Open office, a free and open cutting program, has an interface similar to the Excel 2003 version, so you can quickly familiarize yourself with this program.
- Numbers: It allows you to create spreadsheets and open files if you download and install them on Mac computers, iPhone cell phones and even an iPad.
- ThinkFree: Office-looking program that can be run on Windows, Linux, Mac and Android. Developing a spreadsheet is among your options.
- Zoho: Finally, we present this application to you. Among your office tools, you will find Zoho Sheet, program with development similar to Microsoft Excel. It gives you the possibility to access with your Gmail account, so you can save your .xls files in Drive.
Now that you know more about the subject, you will have no problem creating your .xls files. Follow these recommendations and make your life easier!
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉