Most of the emails that are sent or received have one or more attachments included. According to the platform that is being used, these will have their limitations in terms of weight and size, so you must adjust and adapt to the conditions.
One of problems that may arise in Outlook, the thing is the platform classifies certain files as insecure and blocks them considering that could spread some types of viruses. In most cases, it is due to the termination they have, which is of an incompatible format.
If you have had any problem with attachments in Outlook, with this course you will be able to solve any inconvenience, related with the formats, sizes and the way to upload them so that the system does not reject them.
What are Outlook attachments?
Attachments are any document that is sent in conjunction with email messages, be they photographs, audios, videos, text files or in compressed format that complement the idea that you want to convey or allow you to provide additional details. Once the contact receives them, they can see them at the bottom, in many cases with a preview that gives you an idea of the content. When they are very large, they take longer to load and become available.
What file formats can be sent as attachments in Outlook?
Most document, photo, audio and video formats are supported by the platformHowever, there is a long list on the Microsoft support page that cannot be attached, among which are executable applications, with certificate failures or with compressed extensions.
If they are from a reliable source and you have received them, sometimes they can be unlocked, however, it is best to share them in other ways such as through the cloud, a file “.zip” or via FTP. This in case you are the one who is going to send, if you are receiving, you must notify the sender of the error.
Those that are valid are the following:
- Text: .DOC, .DOCX, .XSL, .XSLX, .PPT, .PPTX, .PDF, RTF, TXT and .ODT.
- Images: .JPG, .PNG, .GIF and .SVG.
- Audio: .mp3, .aac, .wav, .aif, .webm and .ogg.
- Video: .avi, .mp4, .3gp, .wmv, .flv, .mov, .m4v and .mpg.
The best thing to do before sending or trying to attach a file, is check outlook blacklist to avoid wasting time and having a bad time. If you see that the format is incompatible, a good option is to change it with any online program that is available and this will make the process easier.
What is the maximum size allowed for an Outlook attachment?
As you read at the beginning, mail servers set a storage limit, but also the weight in megabytes of each file that you want to upload to send it to a contact. If it is exceeded, an error alert is received stating that the size must be smaller.
In the case of Outlook, the limit is 20 MB combined all items. That means that if you send 10 photos, plus a video along with the text, the total sum must be the amount indicated. As to For business accounts handled in Exchange, the combined size should not exceed 10MB. With this clear, you will avoid attaching very heavy files in your next shipments, so the system will not delay your work.
How to attach a file in an Outlook email
Share photos, videos or presentations with added contacts is one of the things that is most often perform with email. It is a simple task, however for those who are new, it may take a while to get it right.
Here are the steps in a simple way:
- At the bottom of the inbox select the clip icon to attach a document.
- Search in the location where you have the file and once you find it, click on “To open”.
- There I know you will be inserting an attachment to the email you are writing.
- Remember that the maximum file size must not exceed 20 MB.
- If you want add an image within the text you are composing, you have to mark the place where you want it to be seen.
- Then you select the icon of a photograph at the bottom of the inbox and look for the file in its location.
- When you select it, you press “To open” and you will see it in the mail box.
How to send large files in an Outlook mail
Remove limitation size in the files you want to send from Outlook it’s possible, as long as you use certain external tools to complete the procedure.
The first option is to use a cloud service and then share as a link as follows:
- Load the document in OneDrive or Dropbox.
- Once enter to either of the two, click on “Carry”.
- A tab opens in which you must select the document to save.
- Once you open it, it will start saving to the system.
- To share it, click on the document or folder.
- Choose “Share” and a link is copied that you must paste in the email that you are going to send to your contact.
- Thus, you will be able to share files with a weight greater than 20 MB.
- The second option is compress the file, thus reducing its size. To do this, it uses the Zip format.
- Third, to attach images you can resize it with a photo editing program, either downloaded to the computer or with an online service.
- On the other hand, it is feasible use an external website to share photos by linking to Outlook. The same happens in the case of videos, whether they are long or short.
- It is important to note that you must know the privacy and data use conditions when using third-party programs to share files using Microsoft.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉