The new releases mean that many users can look, when buying a mobile phone, in previous models, between one and three years ago, which have dropped considerably in price. This occurs, above all, in those brands that launch high-end devices and whose starting prices are too high.
A clear example of this would be Samsung, with its new Galaxys that we see year after year but that do not stop going up in price. Therefore, you may be wondering right now, if you need to change your phone, what are the differences between Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S9.
If you want to know, of course, we offer you the opportunity to stay with us and see what are the general specifications of each one, a point-by-point comparison and, finally, a comparison table where you can see everything in a summarized way.
Key Features of the Samsung Galaxy S8 Phone
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is as nice as we all expected for its launch:
- Aesthetically it follows the line of the others, with the subtle transformations that make them more and more stylized every year. 5.8 inches, three colors to choose from, only 155 grams, aluminum, glass and a beautiful curved finish perfectly describe the model.
- The firm never surprises in terms of the amount of MPx, although we already know that more is not always better, but that the quality of the sensors is just as important, or more. Thus, the model has 12 and 8 MPx for your cameras.
- The first we allows you to record video in Ultra HD in a more than decent way, taking an important leap in this regard.
- Battery remains a point where the firm is limping, including 3000 mAh, although, yes, we enjoy the option of wireless charging.
- Inside we find a Exynos 8895 and a Mali G72 GPU.
Main features of the Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone
As for the S9 model, we already know that it will be very similar, although it includes new, improved or simply modified features to value.
- Samsung makes an interesting change to place the fingerprint reader under the screen, thus winning in aesthetics.
- Another aspect in terms of design that changes, and it was to be expected, are the colors in which the model can be chosen. This point is interesting because the user enjoys the possibilities a lot, but we are not really talking about an effort by the firm, which keeps the design of the phone intact, turning its efforts towards other points.
- Of course, regardless of whether we compare this with the previous one or with any other mobile launched a year before, we find that both processor and graphics look updated but without major changes beyond the performance of the improved versions.
- We enjoy a camera with a better focus, counting the rear with variable focal aperture from f / 1.5 to f / 2.4.
- The firm worked hard to present the Slow motion of the model.
- The sound is one of the highlights of this phone, because a second speaker is integrated and supports Dolby Atmos.
- The lace is placed by the facial recognition, an addition to the many that we have already been enjoying with the previous models.
Comparison between Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Galaxy S9, which one is better to buy?
Although you can already get an idea of the novelties and distinctive elements that both models include, of course, the interesting thing is to be able to see, point by point, what they are similar and how they differ in order to make a clear comparison.
At this point we see that the biggest difference lies in the colors change. While the older model appears in Orchid Gray, Silver and Black, the more modern appears in Lilac Purple, Titamium Gray, Coral Blue and Midnight Black.
In size and weight, although they are not identical, we see that their characteristics turn out to be invaluable when considering one and the other, since we are talking about 155 and 163 grams and 148.8 x 68.1 x 8 mm and 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm respectively for the 8 and 9. Distinctive already of this line of smartphones, glass, aluminum and curved shape remain.
Regarding this we see that there is nothing crazy; subtle similarities and changes. Yes we meet the pleasant novelty on the S9 to include the fingerprint reader under the screen, which makes it visually more attractive by better maintaining its lines.
Identical 2960 x 1440 pixel Super AMOLED Dual Edge displays with Gorilla Glass 5 and 16 million color reproduction.
Information processing and storage
We go first with what is maintained, which is the capacity of the RAM memory, 4 GB and type LPDD4X in both cases.
The internal memory of both is 64 GB, although the S8 offers us, real 2.3 GB while the S9 only allows us to enjoy 50.3 GB. It does change the expansion through MicroSD, which is conventional, up to 256 GB in the case of the first, while in the second we are allowed to reach 400 GB.
Upgrade the processor, remaining the same but in its corresponding evolution, and we passed from Exynos 8895 to Exynos 9810, which also increases the clock frequency to 2.9. These are supported by a ARM Cortex A53 and A55 respectively.
There is also a logical and small leap in terms of graphics, which become a few ARM Mali-G72 MP18 from ARM Mali-G71 MP20. Also the operating system is updated, passing from Android 7.0 to Android 8.0 although, at this point, both phones can be updated to new versions without problem.
We see that, despite having bet that the Samsung Galaxy S9 would be launched with a dual camera, it was not so more than in its Plus version. In this way, we keep the 12 MPx in both models, although it does improve the focal aperture, which in the S8 is f / 1.7 and in the S9 it becomes variable, going from f / 1.5 to f / 2.4.
The sensor that the signature includes is the one immediately after the S9 compared to the S8, being S5K2L3 and S5K2L2 respectively, although this is something that is invaluable. In the case of the selfie camera, we have 8 MPx with the same focal aperture f / 1.7.
Very interesting is the improvement in terms of Video REC, which goes from UHD 4K at 30 fps to UHD 4K at 60 fps. Further, the most current model records in Slow Motion at 960 fps in HD and at 240 fps if we want to enjoy content in Full HD, an aspect that the firm made an effort to show when it made the announcement and subsequent launch of the smartphone.
Nothing new under the sun. 3.5 mm jack with stereo sound and USB-C On the Go with mass storage, location software, radio, navigation and other identical, like version 5.0 of bluetooth and dual WiFi. Surely indifferent to most is the inclusion of the 4G type B32 band for coverage.
The battery of the two phones is identical in capacity, being 3000 mAh, ya kind, Li-Ion. But nevertheless, the brand ensures that the one included in the S9 gives us more hours of talk time and audio playback. In any case, no parts are removable and they have fast and wireless charging.
To the 11 audio playback formats that the S8 has added, for the S9, the APE; another point that almost nobody considers but that we have to comment, of course.
Stereo sound, only available with headphones, is now also enjoyed, with the S9, through the speakers when include a second in the upper zone on the phone, next to the handset. In addition, it supports Dolby Atmos, which makes the sound, if it is of sufficient quality, more immersive.
We see sensors such as accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, light, geomagnetic, light … Nothing changes in this case. The IP68 certificate is also maintained.
We do find new functionalities and features such as ANT +, Computer Sync, Tethering or OTA Sync on the S9 model. We also see biometrics that improve with inclusion of facial recognition; that of iris remains.
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S9
Dimensions and weight
148.9 x 68.1 x 8 millimeters. 155 grams 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 millimeters. 163 grams
5.8-inch Super AMOLED 5.8-inch SuperAMOLED with Gorilla Glass 5
Resolution and density
2K Quad HD + 2K Quad HD +
Exynos 8895 8-core (4 x Mongoose 2 @ 2.3 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A53 @ 1.7 GHz) 64-bit and 10-nanometer technology Samsung Exynos 9810 8-core (4 x Mongoose 3 @ 2.9GHz + 4 x Cortex- A55 @ 1.9 GHz) and 10 nanometer technology
4 GB 4 GB
Android 7.0 with Grace UX (upgradeable to Android 8.0 Oreo) Android 8.0 Oreo under Samsung Experience 9
64 GB (UFS 2.1) + microSD up to 256 GB 64 GB UFS 2.1 + microSD up to 256 GB (128 and 256 GB versions exclusive to some countries)
Rear 12 MP Dual Pixel with OIS and f / 1.7, frontal 8 MP with Auto-focus and f / 1.7
Rear 12 MP with variable aperture f / 1.5 – f / 2.4. PDAF, OIS, Autofocus Laser and LED flash. Frontal 8 MP f / 1.7 with autofocus
3,000 mAh with fast charging and wireless charging 3,000 mAh with fast charging and wireless charging
Water and dust resistance (IP68), Bixby assistant, USB 3.1 Type-C, NFC and MST mobile payments, Samsung Knox, AKG Harman headphones Rear fingerprint reader, heart rate reader, iris scanner, facial recognition, USB 3.1 Type C, IP68 water and dust resistance, Samsung Knox, AKG headphones, stereo speakers, notification LEDs
4G LTE Cat.16, Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac (2.4 / 5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou), ANT + NFC, MST , 4G LTE Cat.16, Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac (2.4 / 5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou), ANT +
Black, Orchid gray, Silver Black “Midnight Black”, violet “Lilac Purple”, blue “Coral Blue” and silver –only in some countries– “Titanium Gray”
From 809 euros From 849 euros
* If you are viewing the web from your smartphone, slide the table to the right to see all the data
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉