There are emails that we leave stored in the account because we need to consult them later, since they contain important information or documents that are valuable. But, if at any given time we are urgent to review them and we are not close to an internet connection, it can be uphill to have access to them.
Then, it is valuable to have a copy of important emails downloaded onto your computer. By having them on the hard drive or on a removable device, it is easier to consult from anywhere and without the limitation of entering the Gmail account.
In this course we are going to tell you the benefits of downloading all your emails from Gmail, the details to take into account before performing this procedure and the steps you must take to make a backup of the content of your inbox.
What are the benefits of downloading all my emails from Gmail? Reasons to do it
Some of the benefits of making a backup copy of the files that we have stored in Gmail are the following:
- It is a valuable backup in case you lose the information By mistakenly deleting emails, your account identity is stolen or a major crash occurs.
- You have access to them at all times, no matter that you are not connected to the internet.
- You have all the information at hand in case you want to migrate it to a new email account.
- Free up space in your Gmail account, which gives a storage of 15 GB for free.
- Media files are easier to use to attach them to new email messages.
What should I keep in mind when downloading all the emails from my Gmail account? Important considerations
Have at hand offline files have their advantages. It is worth noting that all the records you download will be in a compatible format, which facilitates their use in new tasks.
If you are determined to carry out the operation, take into account the following factors:
- You will only be able to download from your file the data that has not been erased.
- To download the data of a company or institution it is necessary to have administrator credentials, since they are not available to all users in these types of accounts.
- The option works from the web browser and better if it is done on a computer.
- The process may take 24 to 48 hours depending on the number of files that we have stored. Google notifies you with a message when the goal is met.
- You can put everything together in one compressed file, according to the size we prefer it to be.
Learn step by step how to download and backup all the messages in your Google Gmail inbox
An indispensable work tool is the email. Hence that in him a good deal of important information is found. But, at some point we may realize that we are running out of space and want to free up a bit without losing files forever. The best option is download the e-mails together with their attachments.
You can do it on a mobile phone or from the computer and here we show you the simple steps you must take:
From your smartphone backup possible of all the emails that are in the inbox.
The steps you must follow are the following:
- Login to “Menu” and then in “Settings”.
- Select account from which you want to copy the files.
- You tap on the three vertical points and then on “Manage accounts.”
- Verify account that you want to back up in case you have more than one added.
- Touch the account and where it appears “Google account”.
- The tab that opens reads “Privacy and Personalization” and you navigate until you find “Manage your data and your privacy”, click on this last option.
- Go down almost to the end and you get the section “Download or delete your data” and in the same box, the first option is “Download your data.”
- Each of the services from which the information can be downloaded are displayed there. Choose the one you want and click “Next step”.
- There a window appears where you must mark the final options as “File type”, “Frequency” and “Destination”.
- Once the options are selected, click on “Create export.”
- With this the files will begin to download.
In the computer
The way to do it on the computer is very similar to that of Android, Since we are using a web browser to complete the download.
For this we follow the following route:
- Login to your Gmail account using your credentials.
- Once inside, click on your profile picture.
- A bar is displayed and we open the function “Manage your Google account ”.
- When you open, you will see “Privacy and Personalization” and in blue letters it reads “Manage your data and your privacy”, you’re going to click there.
- With the mouse, start to go down until you see “Download or delete your data”. Within the same framework is “Download your data”.
- All the Google services you can download a copy of are listed, including Gmail. Select one or more and then click “Next step”.
- In the new window, check the options to start the download, including “Export frequency” as well as “File type and size”.
- Once you select, click on “Create export.”
- The process will begin there, which can take up to two days.
In case you want to download only one of the emails you have in your inbox, because you need all its content as soon as possible, the steps to take are these:
- Open Gmail account at Web navigator from your PC.
- Enter the mail that you want to back up.
- In the three vertical points that appear you click.
- Among the options available it’s found “Download message”.
- When the download is finished we will have an .eml file, that to open it it is essential to have a mail client on the computer.
- To send it to a contact, we open the function “Write new mail.”
- We select the file that we downloaded earlier and attached it.
- We can add content or send it as is.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will surely be of great help to more members of the community. Thanks! 😉