The Single Tax Registry also known as the RUT, consists of a mechanism to identify the people who declare income taxes and those who do not declare. Therefore, it is a duty for all citizens to keep all their information up to date, which they can do through the DIAN online services, performing any type of online procedure.
The update process should be done as long as the citizen presents any change in their personal information, this may be a change in economic activity, telephone number, home address, email, Among others, if this is the case, the citizen will have to update their data at the latest the month following any of these changes.
It is important to mention that this is a mandatory process and that all citizens must comply with, otherwise they could be involved in sanctions by the DIAN, who are in charge of establishing the fines. In such a way, that here we are going to explain how you can perform this RUT update virtually.
What is the RUT and what is it for?
The RUT or Single Tax Registry, is a mechanism that allows Identify, locate and classify persons and entities that have the quality as taxpayers and non-taxpayers of income taxes.
As well as the declarants of income and assets, those responsible for the common regime, belonging to the simplified regime, importers, exporters, withholding agents, and all other customs users. Therefore, in order to create and register the RUT each citizen requires a registration in the system.
ButWhat good is this to citizens? A person, whether natural or legal, obtains some benefits at the time of enroll in the RUT, as it is be able to endorse and identify each of its economic activities before third parties with whom you can establish a commercial, economic or labor relationship. In addition, having this document reflects the formal tax obligations before the Colombian State.
On the other hand, this mechanism allows the DIAN be able to have better control with all the people required to register in the system. Since once the citizens contribute truthful information, updated and classified will make it easier for them to control the management of tax, customs and exchange obligations, as well as for the application of procedures and cost reduction.
On the other hand, the DIAN has made some clarifications about this procedure for natural persons declaring income tax:
- They have all been informed natural clients to declare income tax that for now is not necessary to have updated the RUT for filing the declaration. However, if it is required have a copy of it no matter it is up to date.
- All citizens are reminded that proof of registration or update of the RUT is form 001 with the legend “Free Document Certificate Copy” or “Free Document Certificate” regardless of the date it was generated.
DIAN has recommended to its users that before attending a contact point for updating the RUT, first check the following points on the DIAN official website:
- “Frequent inquiries section”
- “RUT modifying acts”
- “Subdirectorate of Customer Assistance Management”
- “Responsible for income taxable year 2013”
- “RUT Office Updates”
- “Declare and pay rent”
- All natural persons are informed that they will be able to update their data through the official website of the Single Tax Registry. The publication of this service will be informed to citizens in due course.
- If you need to enroll in the RUT, you can do it through DIAN official site. In the event that it is difficult for you to do so online, you can attend directly to your closest point of contact.
- In the case of wanting update the RUT, the online system can only be made for natural persons or for those persons who have the digital mechanism assigned by the
Steps to update the RUT online through the Dian portal for natural persons and avoid queues
In order to update the RUT It is important to mention that it does not matter on what date it is carried out, it is also a totally free service and it can be done over the Internet at any time. This process is completely simple and fast to carry out, so it does not become a tedious process to do.
It should be noted that it is not mandatory to do it alone via online, In the event that the citizen has problems accessing the Internet, he can approach a control point and update the data in person.
It is important to mention that in the event that the person cannot do it directly, they can carry out this procedure through a proxy that is duly accredited, only approaching the office closest to your residence.
In the event that the client decides to carry out this update online, they must perform each of the steps that we will explain below:
- The first thing you will have to do is get the documents ready and comply with the requirements, in this case you must have on hand your identity document.
- Keep in mind that in order to update the RUT you must be previously registered on the DIAN website.
- In the event that you are not registered in this portal you must enter this link and then enter the option “New users” in order to enable your account.
- Now you must complete the information that appears in the window and “Log in” in the muisca online services.
- Once you have logged in you must choose the option to “Rut Update”.
- When you have chosen this option, two new informative notices will appear, you must select both “Continue”.
- Then a RUT format, In it you must make all the modifications you think necessary.
- The following options will appear at the bottom of the computer screen in this order “Draft, Select sheet, Send, Formalize, PDF file, Exit”.
- Once you finish completing all the data to update the information you must click on the option “Draft”.
- Then click on “Send”, there should appear a notice informing that the update has been sent successfully.
- To finish, you must generate the PDF file, to do this you must click on said option, once this file has been generated you must click on the option “Get out”.
In this way the process of RUT data update will have been finalized. As you can see, it is a fairly simple and fast process to do which will not take much time. Further, you avoid running the risk of being sanctioned by the DIAN, which can cause you problems and waste of time. You can see how to find anyone by RUT from here.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments, we will answer you as soon as possible, and it will also be of great help to more members of the community. Thank you! 😉